Kenya tree invasion

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Swisswiss, Feb 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

So my Kenya trees, as seen here....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361889154.241652.jpg

have decided to conquer my tank.

Now it's tactic seems to be to detach some of it branches and let the currents take them to new settlements.

Firstly my question is, is this a healthy sign or is it splitting for survival as it feels unhappy? They both look stunning and have grown like crazy since I got them a few months ago.

Secondly, and assuming I have collected all the vagabond branches I have decided to try and get them all on a small rock piece I had that was collecting dust.... As seen below
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361889354.851798.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361889371.286754.jpg

The box is a small breeder box who's components (for water supply) have gone missing and or broke. I realize its one of the hardiest creatures out there but how would you suggest I go about water? There is literally zero flow and air in there. It's normally placed on my brace in between my two radions for light. Really I just want them to attach then ill add them back to my dt. Will the water remain livable for them for a week without intervention?

Thx
    Jeff

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

oh also im going to re-aquasacpe a little soon when i get my sump installed and ill place them both in a place with very low current. hence any future de-branching should remain in proximity to the mother plant

4. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

My buddy's tank is invaded by Kenya trees. They seem to be like dandelions.. He wanted to give me a chunk but I didn't want the task of ripping them out as they multiplied.

5. Swisswiss

6. jonathan9573

jonathan9573 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Im not an expert by any means but if you could keep the temp up and at least put a airline in it i think you would be fine for a week. All the of pieces will most likely close up and might even take them a bit to reopen once back in the display tank but speaking from personal experience i had a Cowlry snail go and eat all my Kenya trees down to stumps (which i wasn't to upset about cause they were spreading) but they came back bigger and better then before.

As far a them dropping of branches i think it is partially survival. I have three huge Kenya trees in my tank and am going through it now but then realized my alk was down quite a bit. Personally i wouldn't keep more then two Kenya trees in your tank because picking out 2 to 3 branches everyday gets old rather quickly. I play wheres waldo everyday with branches. Hope this helps.