Kenya Tree ID Confusion

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by HeiHei29er, Feb 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

I've read many threads about Kenya Tree horror stories with it spreading like a weed, so I've avoided it so far (or so I thought).

I purchased one of these (listed as a Nepthea sp.), but was recently told it is a Kenya Tree.
    Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Nephthea sp.

However, it is certainly different than this one that is listed as a Capnella sp.
    Kenya Tree Coral

Is "Kenya Tree" one of those common names that's regularly thrown around? Am I in for nuisance spreading and pruning with the ORA coral?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

capnella is colt coral I believe. It is much softer and slimier than the kenya tree which is nephthea.

1 person likes this.
  4. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

The first is Kenya. They prefer light. I've kept one in my tank for a year with little growth, but I had a low light tank (t8's, non vho). If you have good lighting, they can grow faster.

1 person likes this.
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes it can be a catch all name, similar to what Colt Corals used to be years ago.

The Capnella sp. used to be the true Kenya Tree back when.

It get very confusing with soft coral types. Compare images of Sinulara to images of Colt.

Under the right conditions these soft corals can be invasive. I have found that in my lower nutrient tanks with intense lighting soft coral growth was limited.

Hydnophora, LPS or SPS still drives me nuts to this day.

1 person likes this.
  6. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

:-[ I went by the description given by LiveAquaria and thought I was safe as they had Kenya Tree as a Capnella sp. I'm having some bad luck with LFS's and suppliers lately.

7. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

I'm trying to keep things pretty clean for the SPS, so hopefully growth doesn't get out of hand. Lighting is pretty low where I have it placed though.

8. Click Here!

9. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Is the Nepthea in the above link the only species to self propagate and spread through the tank, or do all Nepthea and Capnella softies do this?

10. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Most softies propagate by dropping branches or by spreading much the same way zoanthids and mushrooms do, moving across the rock work.

If you isolate them and monitor for growth you can intervene. It's the more mellow hobbyist that wait and wait and wait until they decide it's out of control.

12. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Got ya.

Thanks for the help!