Kenya tree cutting

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by emshofk, Feb 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. emshofk

emshofk Astrea Snail

I have a piece of rock that came with a tiny feather duster worm hitch hiker. very cool. there is a tree nearbye that has forked and now the fork is leaning awfully close to where the worm lives. I assume that at some point they will come in contact with each other and that the tree will irritate if not outright sting the worm keeping him from coming out. Can i cut the branch off the tree and attach it to another spot in the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

just cut it anywhere. but its a leather coral so it releases a kind of a toxing in the water, so carbon is a good idea IME. also kenyas have a tendency to get pretty huge

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, fragging kenya tree is easy.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yep, its easiest to attach the new piece using a rubber band, kenya sometimes is a little tricky to glue. I would HIGHLY recommend doing this outside the tank though. Wouldn't worry too much about the toxin, but it may and probably will drop buds. The a week later you will have 20 kenya trees popping up in all sorts of places you don't want them.

6. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

Kenya trees actually don't sting! They release a toxin that irratates most other corals. The only part of a feather duster that shows is the crown, which cannot be stung and a toxin from a kenya will not affect a feather duster. When I had my kenyas they were very very close to one of my feather dusters with no ill effects. I currently have one feather duster that actually comes into contact with one of my frogspawn sweeper tenticles (that do actually sting) with no ill effects. not much, if anything, can bother a feather duster when it comes to corals. Feather dusters being an invert, it is nitrate that will most likely affect it rather than a coral. I really wouldn't worry about it and let teh kenya grow out and branch nicely if you want it to.
    But to frag a kenya. Take a pair of scissors and cut the branch. Simple. removing it from teh water is a good idea if you have other corals in there as they will release more of that toxin. It will also droop and look shrivled for a few hours after the fragging but then will perk back up like normal by the end of teh day. I have fragged my kenyas many many many times before finally got rid of them because of teh toxins affecting my sps. good luck.