Kent Tech M vs Bryopsis

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ultraner, Jul 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

I've known for a while now that I had bryopsis and have taken small steps to try and hold back its growth as long as I could. I cut back seriously on my feedings (which I've never fed heavily anyway), cut back my photo period from 10 hours to 7 hours, and added a fuge with macro algae. None of these things will stop this monster from growing it seems.

So I finally after much studying and talking personally with some very helpful people here decided I wanted to go the raised Mg rout. There apparently only seems to be one clear cut winner when it comes to Mg brand name for killing it off and thats Kent Tech M. I'm not sure what the difference is and don't know that anyone knows for sure but this stuff will kill it when the right ppm is reached.

Here are a few pics of my battle right now. I have been dosing the Mg slowly and just recently hit (actually went over by 100ppm) the magic number of 1600ppm and its affect was noticed almost immediately. These are day 1 and day 5 pics.

(click to enlarge)

Day 1
    [​IMG]

Day 5
    [​IMG]

Day 1
    [​IMG]

Day 5
    [​IMG]

Day 1
    [​IMG]

Day 5
    [​IMG]

Also all coral and invertebrates are fine, I have full polyp extension and haven't lost any snails or seen ill effects on them. People say they are the first to feel it. I've gone slow and steady so far and had good results.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Looks like you're winning the battle!! Congrats! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I am very impressed. I never seen results like that EVER.

1 person likes this.
  5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's most definitely something about the processing or another ingredient of the Kent's that does it. I raised mag to 1600 over a week using bulk reef supply (both chloride and sulfate), and the bryopsis is still growing in my tank, just slower. This is 2 weeks later.

1 person likes this.
  6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Nice one. Here's similar results I had with Kent's M-Tech a few months ago.

Same rock 24 hours apart.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. Ultraner

Awesome results, I actually let this stuff get out of control for a bit so I could document the progress when I did get the Kent Tech M. It's been driving me nuts, as Kacey would say I'm OCD about algae lol. I also didn't want to trim it back so the full results could be seen. So far so good and I will keep updating as I go.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

I just went to go find some Tech M myself, and found this one page (at KMart) with a listing of the contents; the list makes me really think it's one of the additives:

"Contents: deionized water containing the following elements (as ions): magnesium, chlorine, sulfur, calcium, potassium, bromine, strontium, boron, fluorine, lithium, rubidium, iodine, iron, molybdenum, zinc, nickel, copper, manganese, vanadium, cesium, cobalt, tungsten, selenium, and chromium."

10. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

All that is in that bottle?

11. Ultraner

Yeah, I would def agree that its something in the Kent doing it and not the Mg, It's very heavy in metals so that may have something to do with it. But so far I've seen no adverse affects and have read of no others having problems from it.

12. blackraven1425

According to KMart's description, yes, it is.