KENT MARINE Superbuffer-dKH

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by david, Jun 2, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Anybody ever use this stuff?
    I don't have a sump would it be o.k. to drip it into my main tank?Please someone let me know!

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Blue, 1, 90%]Hey David,

WELCOME TO 3REEF !!! [smiley=biglaugh.gif] [smiley=biggrinbounce.gif] [smiley=party007.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

I have used Superbuffer-dKH, but stopped using it about a month ago. I just was not satisfied with the results.

What is it you are trying to do? Are you trying to raise your pH? Or, are you trying to raise your Alk? It would help me to know what you are expecting out of the additive, in order to give you a recommendation. [smiley=sultan.gif]

So, let me know what you want out of the Superbuffer, and we'll go from there.

Peace -- and we're glad to have you here!!![/glow]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm tryin' to raise my p.h. It keeps testing at 8.0 .I'd like to see it around 8.2-8.3! Thank you 4 the help

5. Wrassman

[glow=Purple, 2, 90%]Dave, do you have a skimmer running on that tank? Is it making a lot of bubbles? Skimmers are great areators of the water, and as they do, they help bring more O[sub]2[/sub] into the water. The more oxygen you have in your water, the higher your pH will be. IMO, that is a better solution that adding stuff to your water.

But, if you are bound and determined to add the Superbuffer, be very careful. It is Carbonate, Bicarbonate, and Borate salts. Which means that as you use it, your salinity will rise. Also, just put small amounts in at a time; with Superbuffer you can overshoot your 8.3 mark VERY EASILY.

I don't know if you can take it back and get something else at your LFS, but if you could, I would. Seachem's Products are all formulated to be 8.3 pH, while in the bottle! That means, if you add Reef Complete, which is a balanced Calcium supplement (Ca; Mg; St) you are also bringing your pH in line with natural seawater (8.3).

But, once again, if you decide to stick with the Superbuffer, just be cautious. You don't want a BIGGER mess on your hands than you have now...

HTH [smiley=thumbs_up.gif][/glow]

6. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you, wrassman
    I have decided not to use the superbuffer.I am running a skimmer in my tank it is a coralife super skimmer it works alright.Soon I hope to get a model that hangs outside the tank but the one I have is good for now!I'm going to pick up some crabs today and I'll look for somereef complete. Thank you again, you probally saved me from a mess.

7. Wrassman

[glow=Red, 1, 80%]Great idea, David!!!

You need Ca in your tank anyway, why not get a product that raises your Ca and stablizes your pH at 8.3 at the same time?  How can you go wrong with that? [smiley=idea.gif] [smiley=grin3.gif]

While you are there, you can look for Seachem's Reef Builder, which is a way to boost your alkalinity without impacting your pH, and Reef Buffer, which will boost alkalinity and pH (but is much safer to use than Superbuffer since you can't go higher than 8.3 pH). [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=singer.gif] [smiley=drummer.gif]

I'm so proud of you, here's some karma!!! [smiley=scholar.gif] [smiley=sultan.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif] [smiley=wave.gif][/glow]

Edit: I would if I could, Dave... [smiley=smokin.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Wrassman is on seachem drugs.
    The Kent powder DKH is better then the liquid supplement but I would not use either kent or Seachem unless you still have some then deplete the container and then read Randy Holmes Farley and this will help your issues far more then adding all kinds of seachem cr@p will ever do. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

10. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Wholly cow naut! Nice article :eek:
    This post is an old one.I'm surprised you dug it up!
    I have been using seachem products for a while now my last tests on 03/07/04 were:
    P.H.=8.2
    ALK.= 4.0 meg/l
    CAL. = 425
    That would put me just in the zone. Although they never mention where there P.H. is at during that example? and I do find my P.H. likes to drop off thats one way how I can tell when it's time to use the buffer!
    Thank you for that article Naut!
    Right now my skimmer is driving me nut I can't get any consistent skim mate from it Any "tips" on common skimmer problems?

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

12. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I use SuperBuffer with no complaints. I have yet to experience a problem with the ph in using it.

I follow the instructions and mix it with glasses of fresh water and pour directly into the tank as needed.