Kent Marine Liquid Calcium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by euthyphro, Nov 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. euthyphro

euthyphro Flamingo Tongue

I just bought this product. My tank is 65 gallons total. My current calcium reading is at 400 ppm. I would like to get it up to 450 ppm.

The product says to add 1 to 5 ml per 50 gallons per day and measure the effect. I have added about 4 ml the last two days and I am still at 400 ppm. I am afraid I am doing something wrong...

I found this calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html and it says I would need to add 123 ml :-/ .. Might not recommend that calculator to friend I think..

So, how much do I add to get to 450? The package gives you no clue.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Just a suggestion, I add chemicals to my top off water. It raises the levels more slowly. For instance, I generally add 1 ml to a gallon and test daily and adjust from there. Less shock to the animals.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FWIW, 400 is not low.

Do you have anything that uses cal (clams, stony corals)? If you need to dose cal, you should also be testing alk and mag.

What is your mag level? Adding cal or alk won't necessarily raise the levels. With insufficient mag, they will simply precipitate out of solution.

5. euthyphro

Thanks for all the replies, I will certainly check out Magnesium levels etc... Assuming that everything else is in order, does it sound right to add 123 ml of liquid calcium to bumb it from 400 ppm to 450 ppm? That is like half the bottle!!!

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've cross-checked that with other calculators, and yes, 123ml is correct. That is, however, based on your product (some brands are diluted more than others), as well as the assumption that your mag and alk are in line (1350ppm and 3.5mq/l respectfully). Being that cal, mag, and alk are relative to each other, I do suggest you add 1/3 or less per day and keep testing all three.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  7. euthyphro

I just checked my Mag and KH and they are pretty darn close to those readings. Ill be a little more generous with the Cal but not too crazy.. Glad I am on the right track... Thanks for your help