Kent Essential Elements

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by adam, Nov 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I bought this Kent Essential Elements because I am using Phosban and will be using Chemi Pure for carbon. I thought that I might be low on trace elements. I do 10% water changes every week with Trip Marin Pro Reef. Could the Essential Elements add nutrients to the tank?
    Adam

2. Click Here!

3. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

What is in it ? is it a trace element product ?

4. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

most if not all the trace elements are going to be made up with your top off water. Without testing for them it's really hard to know if it's doing any good.

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Its made of Calcium chlorida, cobalt chloride, Iron EDTA, Lithium chloride, Magnesium chloride, Manganese EDTA, Nickel Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molydate, Strontium Chloride, Zinc EDTA, Copper EDTA, Potassium Bromide
    Adam

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

In my opinion, if you are performing weekly water changes, you will be replenishing those traces and other essentials lost through carbon dosing, filtration and adsorption and absorption by livestock! You can still add traces, for piece of mind, though it is not really necessary!
    Silverwolf72, I think I know what you were thinking, however, the essential traces probably will not be added to the tank though by top-off since top off water should be fresh water and not salt containing the trace elements, otherwise, you run the risk of high salinity levels and decresed oxygen among other issues. Please don't take this as a knock on you...just trying to help!

1 person likes this.
  7. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

LOL....Yeah I wrote that all wrong
    I think my hands have a mind of there own or I have multiple personalty
    What I think is not always what I type :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I use Kent EE too. I bought the huge jug of it thinking I would use a lot of it. I only use it when I don't do my water changes. I also use Pro-Reef and doing water changes with that will replenish the minerals that are sued and skimmed away. I only dose EE weekly if I know I'm not doing my monthly water change. The only reason I don't do weekly is that my nitrates are zeroed out now.