Keeping it live

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by CodyW, May 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

I broke down my 100 gallon for various reasons and it should be sold sometime this week. Anyways I put all the rock into a 45 gallon sterilite with a powerhead and water. Anything else I need to do besides some water changes? It's staying in here for at least a month, at the most three, until I move or get a new tank, whichever comes first. I left some turbos and hermits on the rock too.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That should do it. Maybe a heater to be sure.

1 person likes this.
  4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You are going to need to have some sort of lighting for the snails and snails as well as living things on your rock. Not necessarilly the bacteria as that would be fine with no light but the inverts etc. will require light

1 person likes this.
  5. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

heater maybe light but lights normally mean lost of alge growth i would recommend it but not that many hours or dim light but a heater is a must in my mind

1 person likes this.
  6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Light isn't required at all.

7. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Agreed! I've been curing my LRs for over 2 wks and no light is required. They are cured, but haven't have time to put them in the MT yet.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

Thanks for the help! So just keep testing the water, change it as needed, and keep the temps right? How long can I keep it like this? It's getting ambient light which might lead to algea growth. I'll probably get some combo screw in fluros becuase I have some growth that I think is photosynthetic and I don't want to loose it.

10. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

You can keep it like that for however long you want...with everything right of course. Treat it as if there are fishes in there will garantee your LR to live.