Keeping everything stable the natural way

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Anya, Jan 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

Hi! I was wondering if people would share their tricks on keeping the water parameters stable without using too many chemicals.
    To give a little background, I've had my 40g tank for just over a year now. Recently went through a nitrate crisis - after a year there was a build-up of debris in the bio-balls area, which, I assume, caused a "gradual" spike in the nitrate levels. After a thorough research and reading many articles on this site, many water changes and some very very sad losses, I gradually removed the bio-balls and replaced that compartment with a refuge (macro-algae and light). Lesson learned - the algae is a lot easier to rinse off if needed and consumes nitrites and nitrates.
    Now are there ways in keeping the PH/Calcium in order without using buffers?
    And, this might be asking too much, but how could I keep the salinity steady without the auto-top-off"er"? For now I'm adding some fresh water every other day, but that's a bad solution...
    Just in case, my parameters
    PH 8 (always)
    Nitrates 20
    Nitrites 0
    Calcium 500 and often more
    Magnesium 1320 (last checked, I think it used to be lower)
    and I change about 3-4 g of water weekly

Any input and ideas (no matter how general) are very welcome!!!
    Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. MrFolgers

MrFolgers Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Good idea getting rid of the bio balls. Nitrifying bacteria doesn't adhere to the slick surfaces of the bio balls and traps detritus which causes nitrate spikes. My advise to you is to do small water changes every week. The new salt water will keep your calcium alkalinity magnesium etc. in check. As far as the top off, I suggest an ATO so you don't have to manually add top off water everyday.

Good luck :)

4. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

Thanks MeFolders. I'll definetelly keep the water changes, as the tank is on the small side. My concern with the ATO is that my tank is on the carpeted 2nd floor and based on the reviews I've read there seems to always be a chance of over-topping with those things... are there any that 100% reliable?

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

welcome, and I wouldn't "rinse off" the algae but throw some of it away as that's how you remove the trates, and let it grow back.

and I'd really suggest an ATO, you can look into the DIY section on here for a cheap solution

you're cal is HIGH, what salt and test kits are you using?

But I'd do as the previous poster said and just maintain WC's to keep params in check

6. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I don't think I'm alone in saying an ATO is one of the best purchases I ever made for a tank. The natural way is a great goal, but you're keeping an aquarium, not an ocean. Some technology is essential and an ATO is a very good idea.

7. MrFolgers

MrFolgers Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Check out the Tunze osmolator. Kinda on the expensive side but this is rock solid. Has an electronic eye sensor, back up float switch, and an alarm

8. Click Here!

9. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

Will certainly look into it!

10. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

I purchase the water from the local store, I don't think theirs is that high but I guess I better check. All my tests are "Profi". The Cal usually goes down after a big water change but then goes up again... does that mean I need a buffer :confused:
    For the Algae, I sort off rinse the "dirt" off in the drained water... Mine is not that big to trim off yet
    and thank you for the feedback!

11. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

agree, but would like to get as close to the ocean as possible :)

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

No but the JBJ is pretty close and under $100

PROFI, never heard of it, hmm

honestly an ATO is the best thing you'll get, I was skeptical too. as far as the cal swings, it makes zero sense to me other than a testing problem, hopefully one of the chemistry geeks on here will chime in. if not shoot steve wright a message. Sorry steve, don't mean to call ya a geek;)

1 person likes this.