Keeping a clean substrate

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by CntrSnr2001, Oct 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CntrSnr2001

CntrSnr2001 Astrea Snail

besides a goby, what else cleans the surface of the substrate? ive gogt nassas in there now to make sure the substrate gets stirred but the surface has a little debris. i'm worried the goby might drop sand onto the coral by accident, so I'm not sure where to look.

any suggestions? thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

There's a wide variety of cuc members. Plus sand sifting sea stars. But they're are difficult to properly care for. They work too well.

4. jkuja913

jkuja913 Spaghetti Worm

My pink spotted goby is always moving sand. At any given time there are multiple little mounds because he for some reason picks up sand, moves it to one spot and spits it out. After the mound gets about an inch or so high, it moves onto a new one. Its kinda funny to watch. Luckily i dont have any corals close to the sandbed besides some shrooms. And i'm not too worried about them getting burried ha ha.

5. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

i have 8 nassarius and just picked up diamond goby. I have 20 acan lord frags on my sandbed, but he didn't even bother touching sand, and just picking pods from the glass, I'm thinking about sea cucumber. I feed my scans daily, so my sand gets dirty pretty quick. So I assume cucumber is the best way to clean SB if u have a corals sitting on the sand.

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Dwarf ceriths. A few per gallon.

I have about 500 in my 120DT and the sand is pearly white!

7. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I guess it depends on what kind of corals you keep in your sandbed... I have a diamond goby and a plate coral that gets a little sand deposited on it now and then, but it seems to be able to slough it off fairly easily.

FWIW, I love my diamond goby and it doesn't deposit sand on anything above a few inches off the substrate... and it keeps the sand sparkling clean!