Kalkwasser or Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Kalkwasser or Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime?

1. Kalkwasser

29.2%
  2. Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime

70.8%
  1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Can I watch? J/K;D

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Oh Annik, I don't even want to touch that one or the Mrs. Wages...how is she by the way?
    hahahaha
    or your response lunatik 69! hahahaha

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: If she's not already dead, I'm sure that Mrs. Wages is old enough to be my grandmother so.....nuff said :lol:

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice. :hehe:

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well in the spring you can go to a Lowe's or about any Garden center and buy a 10 pound bag of Hydrated lime for 3.00 or so Same as either of the other two and is closer to what is sold as pure kalkwasser and that is handled the same as a food grade product.. And is powdered a bit finer Hydrated lime is used as a odor control agent under buildings and else where .

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Is there a certain name of the producer for this?? Hate to pick up the wrong one.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Nope it usually comes in smaller bags like 5 and 10 lbs Will say Hydrated Lime
    Total Contents are CALCIUM AND MAGNESIUM You do not want anything with the words Agricultural lime .. Totally different stuff Hydrated lime is just that Lime stone that was baked and heated to very high temps for a certain amount of time to change the chemical structure of the lime stone..Now Pickling lime is just process under tighter FDA controls for food consumption usage. There are on line sites that will sell it and I have seen it for 25.00 for 30 to 50 lbs ..The vary same as Kalkwasser :) while grinding the pickling lime this powder is deemed to fine for that use .. I'll look to see if I have a link ??

Here try this may be to old of a link ? It will give you an idea though also look around may get better prices at other sites ? Its really dirt cheap like this though

HYDRATED LIME 5# -- 978

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i use esv kalkwasser, has the highest percentage rating overall

11. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

So thats something that Lowe's doesn't carry year round?

I think I need to take a drive up to Lowe's to find out!

Thanks for the tip!
    Scott

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Of hobby stuff aka Kalkwasser with is just German for Lime water and after yrs of the construction business I learned from a good friend who refines many elements as to what the differences of what are as for Calcium chloride and Quicklime or hydrated lime they have to me very tight parameters as they are tested often on the spot by highway engineers to see where they are in the concrete and asphalt mixtures .
    Like with Pickling Lime very tight assay and purity controls.. Unlike with any hobby products .. But Grade A hydrated lime is 98% plus pure lime and 2 % magnesium only .. Thats the way it works you can get lesser grades for masonry work and damp and order control under houses but all Horticultural hydrated lime is Grade A as just as the Mrs wages and old ball's was grade A Hydrated Lime but purified for human consumption. And I know that all you by from a hobby Co is just that packed in their container .. For what ever thats worth to anyone. I have seen it lab tested against several Kalkwasser makes and it was more magnesium and just as strong of Calcium.. Thats is my friends job to maintain quality so the state would not make them rip up 30 miles of concrete or asphalt :)

Now I don't want to get into any argument or pissing contest I'm just passing on scientific fact as to what Lime is and how its graded and the strength from a trusted Lab tech that his job is to maintain quality and mixture controls for the mining company to the Job site. But the EVS is not any more concentrated.. But cost what 1000% more .. It all comes from the same place..Just like my home made buffers to Sea chem or Kents or Calcium chloride by anyone even better then the old home owner Dow flakes used to be. I get that for 20.00 for 50 pounds. when and if needed.. Oh forgot ASTM sets the control standards on all hydrated lime and any element like this in the USA.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008