kalkwasser?? calcium reactor??

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by ranger2806, Jan 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

i have been reading a bunch of diff. stuff about calcium reactors and useing a kalkwasser mixer with a dosing pump. they both sound good but are they the thing for me i dont know. are they hard to use and which is better. or can i just mix up some kalkwasser with my ro water when i ad top off water.. tons of help is needed. thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Really matters how much calcium you use in a day. I run both a Ca reactor and all my top off water goes thru a Kalk reactor. This is only because I want my Ca around 460 to 480 and I can't get it there with just the Ca reactor. If you have a small tank then adding Kalk (limewater) may keep up with your tanks Ca consumption.
    All people will do this different. I run a controller that helps monitor my pH so I don't float everyone in the tank. Kalk is about 10 to 12 pH so if you dump a bunch in the tank at one time you are going to cause havoc. Just some thing to keep in mind when you make your decision.

4. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

well i ordered a new tester and it should be here soon so i can test my ph better but my cal. is only around a 340 and i put double the amount of purple up in it every night.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Purple up is not going to bring Ca up. It IS going to bring your iodine up in the tank. You don't need that stuff if you just keep you Mg good. Mother nature will do it her self without help from the bottle.

6. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

ok but what is mg. sorry im new to this.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Magnesium. Unless you are testing for iodine then I wouldn't be adding it.

8. Click Here!

9. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

how do you keep that up, and my ph is a little low so i bought some kent liquid reactor. is that good?

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Never used the stuff. I only add what I need. If my Ca is low then I add only Ca not some two part A & B crap. Some like it...I don't! If I need Mg then I add only Mg. Most of this stuff will be in your salt if you are doing water changes regularly. I keep mainly small polyp stonies and they consume a lot to grow.

I buy in bulk because it's cheaper and I hate running out of stuff.

Bulk Reef Supply

11. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

so can i just mix up the kalkwasser and then just take the liquid off the top and that goes into the tank not all the liquid mixed up right.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Some run a super saturated Kalk, as in mixing all the time while it is adding water to the tank. I don't, I mix for 1.5 hrs twice a day then let it sit for 2hrs then I start adding water to the tank again thru the kalk (Calcium hydroxide) . Don't know how big your tank is but if it's less then 100g you had better make sure you are dripping it and are able to watch your pH until you learn the consumption of the tank.