Kalkwasser and vinegar dosing

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Apophis924, Nov 29, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Apophis924

Apophis924 Astrea Snail

Does anyone have any experience with this method of adding ca++ to the reef system? If i read this correct you add some vingar to your kalk and once the reaction takes place you can add it directly to the tank, without the worry of it being too caustic or concern for adding percipatate to the system.
    Here is the link to the site. Would like to know what proven reefers think. Alot of times what looks good on the chalkboard does not always translate to the reef tank.
    Here is the link
    http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

im not sure about adding kalk never used it. just for a note i use the liquid calcium and that works great for me never had problems and very easy to use.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

WOw! Great article thanks.

I am a fan of kalkwasser and thought my tank was better off dripping kalk. I just had a container connected to a float switch in the sump. Easy.

I hadn't heard of this technique but he makes a helluva argument. Of course, I am not a chemist and can't substantiate a thing he said! ;D BUT I did like that he urged being cautious and see how your tank reacts. Note that he did say you don't have to worried about adding it slowly 'as much.'

Seems you are affecting your tank chemistry quite a bit so I definitely would go slow.

If you go this route, do some more research and keep asking questions - and post what you find here!

I am very interested in this. Thanks!

:)