Kalkwasser and DI water?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by GraviT, Aug 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

My LFS recently switched from RO to DI and I've noticed something odd. After putting together my new sump/fuge, I mixed about 5 gals of kalk/DI for my top off reservoir. Usually, using the RO, after a few hours, the kalk would settle to the bottom and the water would clear. This time, after 2 1/2 days, the water is still cloudy, there is very little that settled out and it formed a nice skin over the surface. Has anybody else had this problem? My Ca is down to 330..need kalk..help!! [smiley=confused1.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Gravit,

I think the cloudiness you are seeing is Calcium Carbonate that has precipitated out of the solution. Kalkwasser will do this if there is Carbon Dioxide present in the water. Maybe this has happened because of the switch from RO to DI

John

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hmmmm, when I had my tank set up before, I always used RO/DI water with Kalk (2 little fishies brand) and I never had a problem keeping the calcium up around 400...I cannot however, remember if it stayed cloudy all the time .....I do remember having sediment on the bottom though....

Is it a problem if it stays cloudy? For my own info....

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Kalk is OK, works really well. I don't use it though as I am the original grub, and tend to slop it all over the place. :)

My understanding of Kalk solution is that you can either use it straight away, or wait until the solution becomes clear. By using it straight away you avoid the Calcium Carbonate forming, by waiting for it to clear the CC has formed and settles to the bottom of the dispenser. Anywhere in between however and you run the risk of adding CC particles directly to the tank water which could cause a snow storm.

John

6. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I forgot to mention that I'm using the Kent Kalkwasser mix. The label states that a precipitate should form at the bottom of the container, and the clear water on the top is what should be added. I've never had a problem mixing the stuff with RO, it behaved exactly as the label indicated. I'm just not sure if I should dump and clean my top-off, or start dosing the stuff.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Gravit,

If it was me, I would dump it, clean everything up and start again.  

There should always be some precipitate, even just a tiny amount and clearish liquid above.  If this isn't the case then most likely cause is Carbon Dioxide in the water.

If you use the KW as it is now, and it is CC that is suspended, there is a chance that the CC particles will become a nucleation point and actually cause calcium to precipitate out of the tank water and cause a snow storm

John

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hmmmm, I am filing all this in my brain for future use!!! It says add the clear liquid, I would do like JohnO says.....

I understand those snowstorms are pretty tough to iron out!!!!

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Water;num=1092868359;start=0#6 date=08/18/04 at 20:28:28]
    I understand those snowstorms are  pretty tough to iron out!!!![/quote]

Are they ever :) It happened to me after dosing with Kalk, the water looked like someone had poured in a bucket of milk :) Luckily it all filtered out OK, it just left a powdery film on eveything :)

Soon after I made the decision that Kalk was not for me :)

John

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I only just drip mine in......drip.....drip.....drip.......

Very little at a time...

;D

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

BL,

If you look closely at the water where the drips drop you will see tiny clouds. That's the CC, it's nothing to worry about as it is quickly taken back up into the water column, but just for an instant you should be able to see it.

John

PS. From memory that's the way they used to make blackboard chalk :)