Kalk reactor vs Drip method vs just adding kalk to your top off water

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by pink4miss, Sep 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

kalk reactor, drip method, add kalk to ato top off water

1. kalk reactor

30.0%
  2. drip method

50.0%
  3. add kalk to ato top off water

20.0%
  1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I would try running an air line outside from your skimmer, and see if that helps. It's not really safe to use kalk as a pH booster, but increased oxygen would help quite a bit.

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have a zeroedge tank. so im guessing the oxygen in the water is a bit higher than a normal tank just because of all the overflow? whats your thoughts? windows are now open now and air is off. i remember reading about a test i can do for ph with an airstone in the water. i think it was one hour? in a container of my water. and see if the ph raises? and to do it in doors and outdoors
    it drops to 7.9 at night and i raise it to 8.0 sometimes get 8.1 in the morning with buffer. it seems to want to stay in that range. when i raise it higher to 8.4 the next morning it just seems to drop back to 7.9 sometimes 8.0 i feel 8.4 is to much change so i dont over do the buffer and stay around 8.0.
    i would like to get it to stay around 8.2

4. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

Oh, yeah ... that was another reason why I didn't try the TLF reactor ... it recommends a lot more flow than the TUNZE ATO pump puts out (13gph).
    The TUNZE pump works great with the Aquamedic stirrer.
    Everything was so much easier to set up with the AquaMedic - Plug and Play.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I used a reactor and let all of my makeup water pass thru it unless I was mixing. Helped me keep the Ca in the lower 400's

6. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Just added 5 tsp to Sea Chem Reef Kalkwasser to my 5g ATO bucket. Going to add a small power head to stir it tomorrow. Will post my results.

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

have you used kalk before?

i believe your supposed to stir the kalk. than let it settle and only use the top water not the white stuff that settles to the bottom. im just learning myself about kalk and i see why some say problems can arise from it. it has to be used properly from what im reading. or you will get drastic ph rise that can do damage

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

First time. I mixed it in the bucket and there is about an inch of water that never leaves the bucket so I think that will take care of the sediment.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i think it should be mixed in another bucket left to settle than the top clear water is what you pump out of that bucket and use for your ato top off water.
    if your going to leave it as is i would put your pump on something to raise it higher away from the white residue at the bottom. you dont want to chance that getting pumped into your tank.
    just my thoughts on it.

11. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Pink-I use a gravity fed system so no pumping involved, but I think I may mix the Kalk in another bucket if I find this problematic.

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

oh good :) about the gravity feed