Kalk reactor vs Drip method vs just adding kalk to your top off water

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by pink4miss, Sep 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

kalk reactor, drip method, add kalk to ato top off water

1. kalk reactor

30.0%
  2. drip method

50.0%
  3. add kalk to ato top off water

20.0%
  1. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

ok im trying to decide what direction to go. i want to give my ph a needed boost. and figure kalk might stabilize the ph for me.

what is your way of adding kalk? and how stable is your ph? on what sized tank?

2. Click Here!

3. Coralli Asylum

Coralli Asylum Plankton

I drip Kalk+2, but still need to add buffer and cal. to keep within the desired ranges.

4. Firefighter

Firefighter Astrea Snail

I'm setting up a 75 gal reef and have a lead on a kalkwasser reactor on craigslist for $60... Is this something I should grab?

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have never used kalk, and have so many questions about it myself. maybe someone else on here will answer that. i have been looking into it to raise and stabilize my ph. was hoping to get away from daily dosing of the 2 part.

6. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I just bought a kilo of SeaChem Kalkwasser and plan to add it to my gravity fed 5g ATO. tagging along.

7. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

I used to drip Kalk, but it was always a hassle to mix, then siphon off the clear part into another container, then match the drip rate to my evaporation.

Then I added a TUNZE ATO and tried adding KALK to my top off container and that was just a big mess and I ended up having to clean my top off container every week ... the KALK powder is hard on the ATO pump, too.

I tried to make my own KALK stirrer, but never came up with a design I liked and eventually bought an AquaMedic KALK stirrer:
    Kalkwasser Stirrer 1000 by AquaMedic - AquaCave

Sooooooo, much easier. Set it and forget it (just add KALK powder every couple of weeks or so). The TUNZE ATO adds RO water from my top off container through the AquaMedic KALK stirrer and into my sump when the level gets low enough due to evaporation ... easy.

On my 58gal tank, my pH stays around 8.4-8.5 ; Ca=450-480 ; ALK=10-11dKH.

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

thank you! you have just answered so many of my questions. since i have never used kalk i wondered about mess and what way would be the easiest way.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  11. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

I looked at the TLF reactor, but in the end I decided to spend the money for the AquaMedic stirrer because:

1> The TLF is new and there have not been any reviews from anyone actually using one yet.

2> In order to use my TUNZE ATO, I would have to figure out how to match the output from the ATO pump to the TLF input (the input is larger).

3> I wonder if the KALK powder will cake in the bottom of the TLF reactor. TUNZE makes their own reactor ( Tunze Osmolator Calcium Dispenser 5074 Reviews ) but I have heard that the KALK powder will cake unless you shake it often ... and $105.00 for what it is - is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong .... the TLF reactor may be great (I use 2 of their Phosban 150 reactors to run GFO and GAC) and the price is right for sure, but I just decided I had had enough of KALK systems that didn't work for my situation and went ahead and spent the money on the stirrer after LOTS of research .... just kept coming back to the AquaMedic.

Here is a video from BRS that will give you more info on the Kalk stirrer: Bulk Reef Supply

1 person likes this.
  12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

do you use the dosing pump with yours? i noticed the dosing pump is a lot slower even than my 100 gallon an hour pump i use now for the ato
    TLF is recommending a 200-300 gph pump where aqua medic is recommending a really slow pump 0.8 gph. thats a huge difference.

also does this unit sit in the ato water or along side of it?