Kalk Drip help

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Jay, Oct 24, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Good day everyone

Well I am going to try this Kalk thing that I hear all about. A question is how fast do you drip the stuff. I hear only at night...why? And of course I will keep my eye on the levels. I bought one ov those wast of money IV drip things...how many drips per 10 seconds? Do I just frip enough to replace the evaporation? Sorry for all the questions but I value everyones opinion here and I cant seem to find this info through research on the net. I always research plenty before bothering you all with questions.

Thanks everyone

Jay

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Be careful Jay, before you start what are your Calcium levels and how much does your Calcium deplete over time. Kalk is a good way to replace Calcium and has other benefits too, but it is also messy and is a great way to create a snow storm in your tank if you are not careful.

In answer, I used to drip one drip per second. :)

You should drip to replace evaporation but that depends a bit on how much evaporation you are experiencing and also your Calcium levels.

Dripping at night ( sounds almost erotic :) ) is because of the very Alkaline nature of Kalk and the changes in PH of the tanks water at night. It tends towards the acid during the night due to algal use of Oxygen I think.

John

4. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

same as JohnO. Also on night dripping. Just never dump all kalwasser at once.

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I see John. Heres what I will do then. My Cal levels are very stable at 375-425. I will mix the solution light with kalk and test as I go. I will adjust the speed of the drip to match the evaporation and increase kalk in solution until I get 450 then watch how fast it deplets while dripping just RO H20. This way I can learn how much evaporates and how strong to mix the Kalk. I was wanting to increase the ph of my tank ....although the ALK level is perfect the ph hovers around 8.0. This way I can keep the Cal ions and ALK ions n balance and hopefully raise the PH.

Am I on the right track?

Jay

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Can anyone confirm if this is the recomended procedure?
    And since I started yesterday there is more Diatoms on the glass. I am using RO water.

Anyone?...JohnO

Jay

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jay,

Not too sure about mixing the solution light.

I assume by that you mean mix less than what is need to reach saturation point?

My only knowledge of Kalk is to supersaturate the water, then after the solution separates and clears drip the clear solution into the tank.

What sort of Kalk are you using?

John

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have done that. I use Two Little Fishies brand....It says to use 1 to 2 Tsp per gallon of water. Depending on my calcium levels and my evap rate, I found an equilibrium by mixing a little lighter so I could drip more in to replace evap ;D
    I do like you JohnO , about 1 drop per second and at nite :D

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

OH Ok, I was just wondering why you would use the drip method ( calcium addition not contraception ) if the solution is less than supersaturated. I can't see the point :)

Thanks for the compliment ( I think :) )

John

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

The point is, I am a female and if I want to make extra work for myself , then it is my perogative :D

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Water;num=1098678227;start=0#8 date=10/25/04 at 21:33:26]The point is, I am a female and if I want to make extra work for myself , then it is my perogative :D

[/quote]

You are a female and you have a point? How is that possible LOL Have you been corresponding with Amcarrig? That's exactly the sort of thing she would say! BTW Shhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone but it's her birhday today :)

John :)