kalk dosing options

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by arentspowell, Feb 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

works ok for me since the ato pops on with the slightest drop in water 1/4 inch maybe, the sensor seems to be very touchy on the jbj it really reacts fast to any drop in water. the floats in the sump section that holds the return pump. which is a small section/compartment. i have the water from the ato going into the largest sump compartment. also the pump is dialed down to run pretty slow 15-20 gph maybe? i never tested it but its a 108 ghp pump that im using and have dialed down the lowest i could get it.

this is what im using its actually a power head Mini-Jet Powerhead

2. Click Here!

3. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

I just replied to this thread ...

http://www.3reef.com/forums/filters...to-kalk-dosers-mixers-105210.html#post1084993

Here is my response:

"I used a Kalk dripper when I first started, but got tired of messing with the drip rate, mixing kalk, changing the container, etc.

Then I tried mixing Kalk in my ATO.
    Got tired of that really quick due to the mess it made and the damage it did to my ATO pump.

Now I am using an Aquamedic Kalk Stirrer in line with my ATO reservoir, controlled by my Tunze ATO controller.
    Works perfectly. No mess, no hassle.
    Pretty much set and forget, just change/add your Kalk powder (I use Mrs. Wages pickling lime) about once a month.
    What I like about the Kalk stirrer over a Kalk mixer is that the stirrer does not need a pump on a timer to mix the Kalk, then wait till it settles before you can dose. The stirrer keeps the kalk mixed constantly and your ATO feeds in from the bottom and you get saturated Kalkwasser from the top.
    Easy, easy, easy.

Kalkwasser Stirrer 1000 by AquaMedic - AquaCave "

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i seen these was wondering how well they worked. i wondered if the kalk readings were the same or do they get weak by the end of the month when you have to add kalk? do they clog?
    so you can just keep adding to the top of the old kalk in the unit? and for how long till you have to clean the unit completely out?

oh one more thing you say they stir constantly? are they noisy?

i like the idea of easy easy easy. :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

hey Larz_1, I didn't know where to respond since it was in both. I decided to respond in the other, as that is specifically about kalk stirrers.

6. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i looked at that TLF unit also. but what had me wondering about it is the pump you hook up to it has a really high flow rate for kalk. i also would love to hear from anyone who has it. price is surely right

8. Click Here!

9. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I've heard they don't work well. This is sort of expected though. If the pump, pumps too fast, your effluent will have too much suspended solids. If too slow, you will not be dosing saturated lime and it will not be very effective. Generally, the only way to ensure the proper level is to mix and let settle. Water can only hold a certain amount of lime. Adding extra and letting it settle allows the excess to precipitate out and the correct amount remains in solution. This is why IMO a premixed in a bucket is the most consistent way to dose lime.

11. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

Well, I don't really "measure" the Kalk itself, but I can tell you that with a 10% water change every 2 weeks and changing the kalk powder once a month (or so) that my Ph, Calcium, ALK & Mg stay stable @ Ph=8.4 Ca=440 , ALK=8-9, Mg=1500. Without the Kalk my Ca would slowly drop to around 350.

My corals have responded well to the kalk, or maybe it is just the stable parameters, either way I've got good growth.

As for cleaning, I completely clean the unit every time I change the kalk powder (once a month or so), but I bet you could just add more kalk powder and clean less often, but I am a neat freak and it's not that hard to do. I would clean it every other time at least as the kalk powder doesnt dissapear-it just looses its potency-and you would end up with a lot of "sludge" in the bottom.

And, it is dead silent ....

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

thanks i seen that video also when i was looking into the TLF would have been nice to see it run with kalk. they are trying to sell the product. how does running just water threw it show you it actually working :( it still leaves a buyer questioning the unit