K-2 Viper HQI v.s. LED Lighting for 29g

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Ashevillian, Aug 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I'm looking at the Biocube 29 Dimmable Retrofit Kit by RapidLED. Need to know if this is comparable to the K-2 Viper as far as nm and kelvin ratings go, I really would like to be able to better support the livestock in the tank, as well as the dimming controls make this appear to be an amazing fixture for any Biocube owner

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I think that one would work pretty well for you. Still maybe not as much power as the halide, but LEDs usually penetrate better.

4. Ashevillian

So you think it's "Clam Worthy?" :) I understand the MH is beastly but also have to consider heat, lack of fans, higher power bill, and most annoyingly the replacing of light bulbs 1 - 2x per year. So if the overall consensus is that this kit will be a good bet for the Biocube I'll go ahead and place the order once my scholarship money arrives ^_^

5. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

20" nova extreme pro T5HO 6 bulbs over a 29g and you will have enough light to keep whatever you want. just another option to think about...

6. Ashevillian

That is an extreme light for sure! The main reason I like to LED's is because I can show off the tank with different light schemes and at the same time provide enough to support more demanding lifestock

Would you say the Nova is better than the Viper HQI? I wish I knew more about the science of light!!!! :-x

----

I'm reading things like you need 14000k-20000k for good coral growth but on most of these Cree LED's the max output is showing 6500k. Not sure how the combo of these can even compare to something that's putting out was more kelvins, but the fact they last forever versus replacing bulbs...

So confusing and nerve racking trying to decide where to invest my Benjamins

7. Ashevillian

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Still wish I had more info on what would provide the best lighting overall for livestock

10. Ashevillian

Any further updates on this topic would be great.

Still considering the k2 viper since the HQI just is over all awesome lighting

But also talking with Steve from Stevesleds.com and he was saying he can retrofit me a kit for my Biocube 29 using the lid with 20 3w Luxeon LED's with 12 RB and 8 CW lights

Anyone with more experiance elaborate on this for me? I've seen some people switching back from LEDs to MH because they know its just over all higher PAR values and intensity

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011