=Jwin= and Triplemom's Custom Bowfront Canopy Video Submission

Discussion in '3reef 's DIY Video Contest!' started by =Jwin=, Jul 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dpruitt7450

dpruitt7450 Bubble Tip Anemone

nice job guys

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Just letting you know..i'm in the process of building this exact same thing for my 36 lol i'll post pictures tonight when i get it all finished

4. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

That's great! I've love to see the pictures.

5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Here's a couple shots of it!

Turned out pretty good for being built on a 6x10 apartment balcony

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one thing i changed was the support for the lower part of the bow. I tried your way with the three columns coming down but it wasn't enough to hold it back. I just cut another bow and screwed it to the bottom.

3 people like this.
  6. Triplemom

That's fantastic!!!! I love it! I think it will be great to give people other "options" on how to construct the canopy. K+

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

You guys have revolutionized the bow front canopy. I just bought some frags from a guy that has a beautiful tank in this area, but the canopy on his bow makes it almost impossible to get into the tank and organize, or do maintenance. Huge tongs are required to go over the TOP of the canopy to the reach the bottom of the tank. K+ again to both for the cool design

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

The design for them is really pretty simple..i don't see why they don't make more of them..Thanks to both of you!

10. Triplemom

I don't know either. I talked to my LFS guy about even ordering one before we took on the project. He said there was a guy he knew of who had done some custom bowfront canopies, but he charged over $100 for the shipping alone! I'm working on a parts list and approximate cost to build the thing - Jwin is hiking up a mountain this weekend and I'm leaving for hot, steamy Florida tomorrow until Tuesday. We'll try to get that done next week.

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Very nice! I love what you did with it! Major K+ on that one.

It is a very simple design, I just had to figure out how to overcome the obstacles of getting a smooth bow on the front, which is for looks rather than function, and then figure out how to make it stay bowed. So I guess I'm a thoughtful bowfront co-owner? :)

Also, I drummed up a Google SketchUp model of my exact canopy this morning. You can download SketchUp 7 here: Google SketchUp

And you can download my model here: 46 bowfront exact canopy build by =Jwin= - Google 3D Warehouse

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

By the looks of it only college engineering students can build these things :lol: