=Jwin= and Triplemom's Custom Bowfront Canopy Video Submission

Discussion in '3reef 's DIY Video Contest!' started by =Jwin=, Jul 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Thanks when it comes time ill prob need the help...well you may of lost some garage space for a few weeks,but hopfully you wont lose any more fish in the long run....;D...again good work you two...

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

ROFL. A+ great job by the builder, many laughs I had and triple mom you don't look a day over 25. Once more great job.

1 person likes this.
  4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Very well done, both of you! That's a bowfront canopy you can be proud of. The functionality of the style with which it opens is perfect, IMO.

I didn't notice from the vid, but one thing you might consider is placing a block on the front, curved surface; so that over time the front center would not become bowed downward (no pun intended on the bowed part). The block would have to be placed vertically, since it's butting onto a curved surface, unlike the two side blocks that hold the canopy on the tank (which are horizontal). It would go dead center, inside the front bowed surface--and just make contact with the tank trim when the lid is closed. I hope that was clear.

Great job!! Impressive!!

2 people like this.
  5. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

He did put blocks to sit on the front of the tank (bowed part). He has 3. They all appear to touch the rim of the tank and are vertical (perpendicular to the ground).

That looks awesome! I gotta build one for my 72 and you just inspired me to take a trip to the hardware store! What type of wood did you use for the bowfront and for the sides and top?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  6. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Great Job to both of you. very nice DYI.

1 person likes this.
  7. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Chipmunk style! Brilliant! Nice build/vid, I think Reef Sparky meant horizontal across the middle of the ply?!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Thanks! It's probably hard to tell from the video, but here's a picture of the canopy with the bow propped open, but not leaned back all the way. The posts actually rest on the top of the tank and the bow extends down over the black trim on the tank.

[​IMG]

10. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

You must be visually impaired, but I love you anyway!!!! :kiss: :iloveyou::lol:

A few more "still" pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'll definitely work on a materials list with exact specs on the wood and everything else we used. Jwin is on a hiking trip right now and won't be home until tomorrow (the life of a college student).

I had to work this weekend, and between us trying to get our video finished at the last minute and work, I didn't get to watch all the videos. I'll be watching them this evening! :)

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

So long as he's not Hiking The Appalachian Trail! LOL. Come to think of it, he IS a teenager, afterall. Hike away, young man!! :)

And yes, I didn't notice the posts on the videos. That's exactly what I was talking about, and I suppose three of them, are worlds better than one. That's a great design. It should hold up very well over time. Good choice of primer and white enamel paint.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That was fantastic. I am really impressed with wood work Justin! You have some skills! I did some recently for my boat and you made it look easy. Beveled edges and the bow cut with the jig...wow. GREAT JOB! THAT WAS PRO!

Nice 'nitpicking' by Mom too. ;D
    Great vid for the contest... thanks for entering!

matt

1 person likes this.