Juststarting back up !

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by kalandra, May 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kalandra

kalandra Flamingo Tongue

So I recently started back up my marine tank . I'm running a 50 gallon 48" long cycled my tank for close to two months then added some live rock to the tank I had a large amount of rock from before but as it's dead , I'm wondering about how long until that rock becomes alive again and a part of the living filtration system of thentank . I'm running a duel bulb t5 where as I used to run the duel t5and a mix of compact florecents . Will my t5 alone be enough for my size of tank or should I add another t5 set up or add the compacts back in .... I was trying to use less if more wasn't needed , didn't want to be running light just to run it .

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Congrats on the the start up.

You can simply challenge the tank with the addition of fish food, add a pinch, test the next two days.

If you see a detectable ammonia or nitrite value than the biological filter needs more time to grow/more time.

As far lights go, what do you want to keep coral wise and what is the name of fixture or bulb types?

4. kalandra

kalandra Flamingo Tongue

The fixture is a glo and has 2x 10,000k bulbs in it and yes eventually I want to keep corals again .

5. Corailline

On 50 gallons you will probably have to upgrade the lighting to keep stony corals.

6. kalandra

kalandra Flamingo Tongue

What would be sufficient 4 t5s ?

7. Corailline

Yes, with decent bulbs and a good reflector.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Agree on the lighting. Ideally, you will want individual reflectors with 4 quality bulbs (ATI, Giesmann etc.).

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

There are some really nice combinations of colors for T5 lighting that you will really like the look of.