Just upgraded to MH

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by bobssecrtsn, Dec 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

Hey guys, i just upgraded my fixture from a 6bulb t5 that was about 6 inches from the water lines to a 250w radium bulb. i have it set to 8-10 inches above the water line, but the problem is i have no supplimental lighting, im planning to attach some ecoexotic LEDS to the sides but thats my future,

the ballast is from CoralVue and
    my question is how long should i leave my mh on for?
    how high should i move it

this was my schedule for my t5 setup
    11:30-8:30 2bulbs b+
    12:30-7:30 +2 more bulbs b+and purple +
    2-5 2Coral+

heres the setup and the fixture..also this tank is mainly sps on top, and lps on the sand bed!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

My MH is on for about 10 hrs per day. IMO, that is too long but that is what I do. Honestly, I don't think you have that much more light than you did with the T5 setup. It looks a lot different but I don't think there will be that much difference in the par. Those radium bulbs are beautiful though, huh?

4. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

yes they are a beauty.. i have it set to 5 hours and staying there for 3 days then adding a hour each day till i reach 8 hours

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Congrats, MH rocks.

I would start with 6 hours for the 1st week, that is what I do and sometimes I still kill a piece or two.

That is A LOT over that tank, pretty sure you will like the results.

6. Tom Owens

Tom Owens Astrea Snail

250 watts over that little tank is a LOT. Frankly, I'd lift that puppy up another few inches to be on the safe side.

7. SeymourDuncan

SeymourDuncan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use a 4 hundo on a 75 but it was literally 2 feet above the water. Still grew diatoms like no other. Corals grew like weeds though! 6500k bulbs are all I use for halide with actinic supplement to whiten it up.

8. Click Here!

9. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

im already loving the shimmer, im planning to add some reefbrite tech leds for suppliments and leaving these on for my viewing purposes