Just started my first Saltwater tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jbcincy44, Mar 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jbcincy44

jbcincy44 Plankton

Hey everyone, I decided to finally take the plunge into saltwater. I've had a 90 gallon freshwater for about 5 years and really wanted to try something different and more exciting. So a couple of weeks ago I went out and bought a 46 gallon bow front for my bedroom. I probably should of posted earlier. But I just have it all set up and starting the cycle process now. My setup has a 36 aquatic life 4 bulb t5 ho lights. Fluval E Series 200w heater. An octopus bh-1000 skimmer (which seems to be working great already), an aqua clear 70 with just carbon and chemipure. About 55 lbs of live sand. 20 lbs dry rock and 45lbs live rock which I just received today. 2 Hydor Koralias, a 1050 and 750. Also a 5 stage rodi unit for all my water needs. My tank is on top of a dresser so there for I do not have room for a sump or anything of that sort. I just thought I would share with everyone and get an opinion of the setup so far. And also the first picture is before the live rock and with just base rock. The 2nd is with the live rock that I just put in. Its still a tad cloudy from the rock. And my tank has currently just started cycling a couple days ago.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

It's a very exciting hobby.

Sounds like you did your homework, now the painful part, waiting.

Looks like a great start.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Congrats on the transition bro, Its awesome and addicting! Fun stuff! IMO, I'd pull the skimmer and chemipure offline for now and just let the tank cycle naturally! Ya won't really need the skimmer till ya add livestock and start feeding. Just watch your param's every day or 2 and make sure nothing spikes overly high! In about 6-8 weeks, get ready for your first fish!

What are your stocking plans?

Also, get 2 totes from walmart or the likes, a small heater and a maxi jet 400 or so for water changes. 1 tote for RODI fresh water only so you can have it for emergencies or just on hand, 1 for mixing new salt water for a day with the maxi jet and heater, then convert the maxi jet to a pump to fill your tank during a WC.

Also get a TDS meter and solid test kit!

But congrats on the awesome start, way to do your homework.

Congrats and welcome to 3reef

5. jbcincy44

jbcincy44 Plankton

Waiting is definitely going to be the hard part. Im still trying to figure out what fish I should should do. And then some corals down the road once I get use to everything. I wanna do everything right the first time.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I always recommend window shopping at live aquaria.com! Most fish you'll ever think off and great info on each!

7. jbcincy44

jbcincy44 Plankton

Well i do have a maxi jet 1200 that I use for mixing my saltwater. Also bought a food grade trash can for mixing it and a couple 5 gallon buckets to hold ro water for when i need to top off. But live stock I think the only thing I know Ill get for sure is a couple clowns. Always loved em. Ill definitely need to see what can be put in my tank since its not too big. Id love a tang. But i know those are too big. Maybe someday when I get a larger tank. But Im open to all options. And thanks for the input on running all natural.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

AWESOME bro! Congrats on everything! Sounds great! Personally I'd say 2 clowns, a small goby, a wrasse and a pygmy angel! MAX But fish are so subjective on what ya like! Just read up! Ya got months and months to add fish, 1 at a time!

10. jbcincy44

jbcincy44 Plankton

Sounds like a nice list. A lot of the dwarf angels are nice. Definitely have to look into them. But I definitely have time to decide while its cycling.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah, they'll prob be your last fish so about 6 months down the road so ya have some time!;)

What part of Ohio ya from? Final 4 plus Urban Baby!;)

12. jbcincy44

jbcincy44 Plankton

I live about 30 miles north of cincinnati. Near Kings Island. Nice little area. What part of Ohio you from?