Just set up a Red Sea Max 4 days ago...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by gythwulf, Jul 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nybatu

nybatu Bristle Worm

chiller doesn't work as much as AC. it runs few times to keep 78-80 during the day unless you wanna keep 76-77. ac=$75 chiller=$400

2. Click Here!

3. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

My mom keeps the windows open during the day to keep the house cool, and even when the AC is on, the room my aquarium is in is pretty hot. Unfortunately there was nowhere else I could put it, so that's what I have to work with. Basically AC as a way to keep my aquarium cool just isn't an option.

Edit: I should probably mentioning that I am trying out the water bottle cooling method. I'll let you know how it works out.

4. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Turns out that a .5L bottle melts in under an hour and drops the temp no more than .5 degrees (if that).

5. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

6. nybatu

nybatu Bristle Worm

if i were you i would definitely buy one, i live in NY so 2-3 mounts hot days max. than 60-70F its ok. but CA is different. i think it is good deal but i only buy tunze product(made in Germany) they know how to make good stuff.

7. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Got a few more pictures to show:

What I believe to be two feather dusters and, I'm not sure if you can see it or not, but there is an anemone-looking object in that bottom crevice. I couldn't get a good picture of it, unfortunately, but I wish I could so that I could get an ID on it.
    [​IMG]

Better picture of my mushroom
    [​IMG]

Far left LR
    [​IMG]

Another photo of left LR, but at a different angle - you can see the bubbles the algae are producing
    [​IMG]

Ammonia is still at 0.25 PPM, and I'm hoping it starts to decline soon ><

8. Click Here!

9. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

are you leaving your lights on? There is no need for them while cycling. Turn them off and prop the hood. Temp will come down and the bubble should go. Also, are you using any PH's? Sorry if this has been addressed, but there are so many pages now I can't remember what was on the first 2!!:-/

10. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

I'm not using any PHs, just the stock return lines. Also, I at first I was leaving the lights on because I liked how it looked, but now I am because of that coral that's growing somehow - I don't want to kill it (unless you can identify what it is, and if it's not a coral, what it might be). Also, I've tried leaving the hood open, but it just doesn't make that much of a difference. I haven't tried hood up with lights off, but that would just be a temporary fix, and wouldn't work once I get corals. I've decided to get the chiller, and there really isn't anything that could change my mind at this point.

Also, if there is something that looks like an anemone in my tank (it's really small, and you might be able to make out a tenticle or two in the last picture of my last post), would it likely be aptasia? In case it isn't, I am leaving it there for now, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on it.

I also have a lot of green algae growing, and I suspect that's from the warm water and lighting. Once I get my temperature regulated with a chiller and a cleaning crew in there, do you suspect it will clear up pretty easily?

11. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Well as a last ditch effort to get my temps down, I cranked the AC and turned my cealing fan up full blast. I was surprised that today, despite being in the mid to high 80s, my temp never went above 80.7. Looks like I might be able to get away with not buying a chiller ;D

12. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

it's def a mushroom. They don't require much as far as lighting goes.You'd be amazed what a good powerhead can do. I added an additional when I had my 24G aquapod. I believe it was a maxijet 600 maybe a 400.