Just set up a Red Sea Max 4 days ago...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by gythwulf, Jul 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Just set up a Red Sea Max (July-4-2008)

...and I have a few questions. Now, I've done loads of research, I know about the cycle (Though, I don't fully understand it) and I've been testing the water parameters on a daily basis (though, not every parameter every day - alternating through them). I have about 22-23 pounds of live rock sitting in it for the time being, and patiently waiting for my cycle to end.

Okay, now for the questions:

1) I have discovered that my water temperature fluctuates too much, and in the upward direction instead of the downward direction - basically, I need to get myself a chiller. Anyone have suggestions as to what a good chiller for 34 gallons is?

2) What recommendations could any of you give me regarding what "cleaning crew" invertebrates I should get?

3) Would it be a bad idea to put a juvenile blue tang in my aquarium? I know it would outgrow it eventually, but how quickly? (My LFS buys fish that outgrow aquariums)

4) During the cycle, what should I be looking out for? Also, aside from correct water parameters, how can I tell when it is complete?

I think that's enough questions for now; besides, I can't think of any more. Thanks for the help in advanced!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>> Sounds like your off to a great start.. I would pass on the juvenile tang.. Needs more swimming room in my opinion..

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I'll give #1 a shot. How much fluctuation, how fast and, how high does your temp. get?

5. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

In the morning, after the day lights have been off for the night, the temperature is between 78 and 79. At the end of the day, it's up to the 82-83 range.

6. missionsix

That spike is really only dangerous if it happens fast (an hour for instance).
    I'd bump yout heater up to 80. If it's your lights that are causing the temp to raise that high. My tank raises from 80-82 throughout the day. Try to keep house cool. If you are set on a chiller I can't really help. In regards to your daily testing, You should be only testing for ammonia now. You will see it spike then drop. Then you will be testing for nitrites seeing the same spike/drop. At last the nitrates. Keeping an eye on them till they stabilize at a good range for your set-up. Start learning about Calcium kh and magnesium relationships while you wait for your tank to cycle. And I think the tang is a bad idea.

7. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

You should probably keep your heater at 79-80. That is what mine is set at. If you got your heart set on a chiller JBJ makes coog ones for 35 galloan snd smaller. No need to think about a clean up yet wait for a couple weeks so your water params are better. i know tangs are nice but our tanks a way to small for one sorry to disapoint. During the first couple weeks imho check the ammonia and nitrites. Anyway good luck and remember go slow let it grow patience is the key in this hobby

8. Click Here!

9. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Alright, I set my heater temperature to ~80, though, right now it's up to 82.5. Also, I'm bummed to hear your opinions on the blue tang - I really wanted to get one :ohwe:

10. missionsix

You can get one with the notion that it will need to be returned. I however, wouldn't put a small one into a(small) tank that isn't really established. They tend to stress easily and get sick. In turn causing you to stress easy and get sick.

11. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Well, I definitely wasn't planning on it being my first fish, as I want to start with damsels/gobies/clowns. The reason for the question is that I would like one eventually :p

12. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

If you are curing you l/r in your tank you really don't need to run your lights for a couple weeks. The RSM is a nice setup it has some great features, and some that are not so but all in all very nice. Get yourself a refractometer the hydrometer from red sea is not right. and be patient with their protein skimmer some people have had good luck with it, some don't. Good luck welcome to 3reef