Just got stung by my volitan lionfish..

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Acowart, Oct 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Acowart

Acowart Plankton

:-/ Was leveling out my sand and of coarse it was very cloudy and out of all the places in my 150g tank I decide to stick my hand right on top of my lionfish..
    He isnt really that big, I'd say 6in max but it hurts like a mofo. Any tips on helping the pain. Im an HVAC tech and I work with my hands all day if the pain dosnt stop by the morning im going to be in a bad spot.. There is no way i can miss work ill just have to deal with the pain.... but if any1 has a suggestion please let me know

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have heard to soak it in the hottest water you can tolerate.

NSAIDS for pain.

Seek medical attention if symptoms of possible allergic reaction occur. Watch for signs and symptoms of infection at puncture site as appropriate.

Hopefully Renee will chime in.

Ouch.

1 person likes this.
  4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

+! on the hottest water you can stand asap!

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

6. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

take a look at this
    Lionfish sting hurts more than you think; be prepared | The Triton

7. Acowart

Acowart Plankton

Yes I did run Very hot water over it. It seems to be letting up a bit. its been 2 hours but still hurts pretty bad.. Only strange thing that happened was a knot appeared on the right side of my fore arm

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

be very careful and keep a close eye on the sting site. It does hurt like hell. I got hit once and I was in tears.

Hopefully it is better by now, but like others said run it under the warmest water you can tolerate without burning the skin. Need to do this for at least 20 minutes or so and then I continued to do it. The heat will actually break down some of the toxins. I also wouuld recommend taking benadryl to anyone that gets hit. While majority of people will not have any type of allergic reaction to to the toxins, it is best safe then sorry as you dont want ot be that one person who responds negatively (trust me........I am that one person who nobody responds like) NSAIDS like aleve, ibuprophen will help with the pain, but hopefully by tomorrow it will be better.

Like I said keep an eye on the sting site. Not only did you get some nasty stuff there, you punctured your skin in your tank. All sort of germs and bacteria can enter into that site and get infected. I would start using some antibacterial cream in the morning and keep a very close eye on it.

Hope you feel better really fast!!!

10. budsbunny

budsbunny Bristle Worm

yes we never really worry too much about nicks and cuts in the water but it can cause some nasty stuff...watch a thing on tv and guy about died from it

11. Acowart

Acowart Plankton

All of the pain is gone now. no swelling. that was defiantly an awesome experience ha! i will be a lot more careful in my tank now.. thanks everyone for the quick response

1 person likes this.
  12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Glad you are better! Hope you will use gloves from now on :)