Just got Koralia 4... too much flow?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by GatorDrew, May 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

Alright, so first off.... the pump works really well.

I have a 90G tank and was hoping to get my turn over up. So, I got the Koralia 4. I've tried moving it around... but I just don't know anymore. No matter what... it's hitting some of my shrooms, ZOAs, and anenome. That's fine by me... but the shrooms/zoas close up immediately. The anenome is trying to move as far away as possible... everything is just going crazy.

Is this normal? As in... does it take a while for the anenome, fish, etc to get used to the new flow?

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Thats alot of flow from one pump 1,200gph. You would have been better off using 2 of the #2 pumps at 600gph. Try bouncing the flow off the front or side glass.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  4. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

I was readin on the forums that others got the #4 for their 90...

Right now I have it along the back wall pointing towards the front of the tank. It's pretty cool because diagonally down-left you can see stuff move that never moved before. I think it's the best place for it.

I think you're right though... even though it will cost a bit more, it will be a bit more even flow...

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

The number one problem with flow in a tank is that it all depends on the aquascape, livestock, and dimensions of the tank. For other peoples tanks they may require that amount of flow where your tank may not. I have 2 #1 koralia's and 1 mj1200 in my tank and it is perfect! I used to have more gph when I started the tank and I had tons of problems keeping everyone happy.

1 person likes this.
  6. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Hey Gator, If you decide not to use Koralia, I might be interested in a trade of pumps. I've got several Rio Seio pumps and I am wanting to get more flow in my 120g tank. I would consider trading one of my Seio 620 pumps with only 6 months of use for that Koralia. The Seio puts out 620 gentle gph at 8watts. The Seio's are nice pumps, very quiet and start up every time.

7. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

Thanks for the offer RAVEN; however, I just sent my Koralia 4 back to Dr. Fosters in exchange for two Koralia 2's...

8. Click Here!

9. Ryanb

Ryanb Plankton

Hey, im about to start up a 75 gallon aquarium, and was wondering which powerheads to use. Ive heard the Koralia 4's would be too strong. Im looking to put one at each end of the tank... any recommendations? koralia 1, 2, or 3? Also in the tank will be more or less soft corals... ricordeas, polyps etc...

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi,

Go with the koralia 4, for a 75 gal is should be perfect. IMO

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I have a koralia 4 (1st gen) in my 55 and quite a bit of flow, but things did get used to the extra flow. I also have a MJ-1200 with the propeller mod (smaller one) and the sand shifts here and there, but corals did get used to the flow after a few days and started opening up as normal.

I honestly don't think it's too much, specially for a 90 gallon tank. Providing that it was a new pump, I would have aimed that from any back corner of the tank towards the front glass and let the corals, etc get used to the new flow pattern. I really enjoy watching my softies wave and move with the flow.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I have 2 koralia Evo 425's in my 29g. I would go with either 3 korlia 750's(probably best) or 2-3 of the koralia 1050s for a 75g, depending on your aquascape & the type of corals you want to keep.