Just getting started with SW.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by eznet2u, May 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eznet2u

eznet2u Plankton

Hi All,

Like the title says, I am just getting started with saltwater, have kept FW for awhile and wanted a little more of a challenge:loco:
    I have ordered the lighting (130watts PC) and a skimmer (rated for 150gal, I forget the brand.) and 3 power heads rate for 315gph. (overkill?)
    One of the power heads is for the mixing tank.
    30 pounds of LR, 20 pounds of aragonite, and 3-4 pounds of rubble for the bottom of the LFS LR holding tanks. (Grunge?)
    I plan on keeping a 20g tall reef with a Lawnmower Blenny, Sharknose Goby, and maybe a Percula.

I am new to SALT so I will more than likely be asking a lot of question on here, I have read nonstop since deciding to go for it. I still have a long way to go.

Any advice? Any questions? Any answers? Any Insults?:help:

2. Click Here!

3. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

first of all if your going with corals you will have to have some serious moola if not with a fish only much cheaper, as for the skimmer i would like to know the brand and ill tell you if it will work as far a 150 thats alittle over kill but thats good if you want corals but as far as anything else have you bought everyhting already if not you may need to buy less of some items like powerheads maybe 1 or 2 max really and salts is my next question i would recommend Oceanic ive used Instant ocean and reef crystals and seems to work best but its up to you really.

4. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

also get a good test i recommend aquarium pharms and i would recommend buying from online like marinedepot.com or live aquaria but up to you much cheap online also are you planing on buying a sump or making one or skimmer as a hangon and get a good heater and a a magnet scraper works fantastic also

5. eznet2u

eznet2u Plankton

Hi PT,

Yeah, I have a test kit all ready, it is a MASTER KIT, for fresh and salt.
    I just have to buy a HIGH Ph. add-on. I do not plan to use all three PHs in
    the tank, I am going to use one to mix salt.
    As for all the misc. things, scrapers, heaters, etc. I have them from my FW tanks.
    I will be using the skimmer as a HOB. I am trying to do this on the cheap.
    I have made a deal with the LFS, I take care of their planted tanks, and they give me "things" it only means a few minutes a week for me as I browse their
    new additions. I have gotten a lot of free things just by helping them out a
    little. I got 28 swordtail fry, one time just because I noticed them in the
    bottom. The manager has agreed to sell me the LR for $3 less per pound than
    normal. Also she has lots of small frags that have broken off during removing
    the mothers from her main SW display. They have attached to the gravel in the bottom of the tank...I'm getting them for free...:D
    She was a little upset that I bought the equipment online, but she wanted almost $300 for the same light, WITHOUT the bulbs!
    GREAT ADVICE, KEEP IT COMING!:smart:

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Welcome to 3reef!
    Not a bad setup to get comfortable with salt.
    A skimmer is essential, so regardless of brand that was a good move.
    I encourage you to read my 3 steps (intro to reef keeping) in the articles section, that may help you a bit.

Your tank will be decent for low to medium softie/lps corals like mushrooms and leathers and such. Since it is a tall, I wouldn't push it too much.
    But it sounds like you are on your way. Go slow! :)

Thanks for joining.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Only thing I can add is that you should buy yourself a test kit for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium (which I don't believe are included in the "master" kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals).

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good point amcarrig. I meant to mention upgrading the testkit. ;)

10. eznet2u

eznet2u Plankton

I have read your "3 steps" article, as well as most of 3reef,
    Aquaria Central, Aquatopia, Garf, Melev's reef, and so many others
    that I have forgotten the www's. I do not take a step like this
    without being as informed as possible. I lost $150.00 worth of
    freshwater fish because I failed to study, (What cycle?!)
    That was a long time and a lot of reading ago.
    I have yet to order the tank, debating Acrylic/Glass.
    I am taking everything very slow. I had planned to add the calcium,
    alkalinity and magnesium tests to my kit. I thank you for your input.
    I was hesitant to post after reading the flame job on a newbie that
    had screwed up. I am glad not everyone is treated that way.:)

Keep the advice coming.

Any preference on Glass or Acrylic?

1 person likes this.
  11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

thats awesome that you get free stuff for helpin out at the lfs. i never had a acrylic tank but have heard they scratch much easier then the glass ones i use the aquarium pharmicuticals test kit also and its always worked pretty well for me and easy to use

12. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I agree with Karlas. Acrylic is softer than glass and thus scratches more easily. Why does this matter? Because algae is a bigger problem with a saltwater tank (because your lights are brighter) and you'll be cleaning off the front panel more often than you would for a freshwater tank.