Just found this

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Reef Club' started by Renton777, Nov 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renton777

Renton777 Plankton

Hi Guys,

I just found this forum. Since, I too, am from Northeast Ohio I thought I would say hello. I generally stomp around on C-SEA (Cleveland saltwater enthusiasts associations) website c-sea.org . You guys have some good looking tanks, corals and fishies!

I started my tank in January of this year, a 93 gallon cube. It is a mixed reef. For fish I have a couple Leopard Wrasses, a couple clowns (1 orange and white, 1 black and white), a couple orange spotted file fish, a mandarin dragonette and a royal gramma. Throw in a couple fire shrimp, a couple banded coral shrimp, a sea cucumber, crabs and the whole and I have an active reef. I started adding tiny frags of coral in April and have enjoyed watching them grow. I have been constantly adding to my coral collection.

Anyhow, I thought I would say hello and share some video and pictures of my tank. I LOVE seeing other peoples pictures and video so I only find it common courtesy to share some myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://youtu.be/M9nyq6i0mRA

http://youtu.be/otCMuUVeQuQ

2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

videos arent working!! :(

4. Renton777

Renton777 Plankton

I just edited and added links, not sure why it didnt work the first time. sorry

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Wow, beautiful reef. I love the blue and yellow fish(es); though I do forget what they are called. Just one other 3reef member has them in their tank. Are they difficult to care for?

There are some tech. difficulties with videos lately. I spoke to the web admin (Matt Rogers) about the same problem, just today. He is working on upgrading the site to more easily allow embedding of videos. For now, this will work.

For the above videos, I used only the bold faced text of the code, as you can see, below.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ otCMuUVeQuQ " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ M9nyq6i0mRA " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then I highlighted them and clicked the "YouTube" button in Post Reply --> Go Advanced.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

wow just beautiful!!!!!! it all looks great.

7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

awesome job man I'm super jealous, my tank wont look like that for a long time its only a month old hahaha

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Nice to see another Ohioan. I am located in the northwest Ohio area.

I've heard Cleveland has some great fish stores.

10. Renton777

Renton777 Plankton

Thanks for the help Seano! The blue and yellow fish are Beaked Leather Jackets (Oxymonacanthus longirostris, Orange Spotted Filefish), different names for the same fish.

Not to overkill you with info (but I will ;) ), but this is a write up i did on another website:

October 26th marked the 3 month milestone for keeping a pair of female Beaked Leather Jackets (Oxymonacanthus longirostris, Orange Spotted Filefish). I am not sure how one measures the success of keeping fish, but I consider this experience to be a successful one. They are active, robust and are very interesting fish to watch.

This success is not mine alone. I learned from the experiences others have shared (both successes and failures) in online forums. One of the very first decisions I made was to seek out a pair that had been weened off of a strictly sps coral polyp diet (their natural diet) and onto a varied diet of prepared foods. At the time I did not have the space or resources to attempt the weening process myself. I did not have an extra space or tank to attempt this. So, I waited patiently until there was a pair on Diver’s Den. I was quick enough to snatch them before someone else (my first attempt to buy them failed as someone swooped in an bought them while i gazed at their picture for an extra 10 seconds!). Diver’s den had weened them onto thawed mysis shrimp and nutramar ova, so that task was done for me!

When introduced into my tank they were a bit skinny and at only nutramar ova. They also picked at the polyps on my Green Slimer Acro, millipora, pocillopora and a bit at my birdsnest. Over the course of time their figured out that sera marin granules, cyclopeeze, flakes and mysis make for good eating as well. I feed the tank twice a day and with each feeding I always include some nutramar ova as that seems to be their favorite. These days they look healthy and plump!

They have picked at sps polyps resulting in polyp retraction for most of the day, but they have not killed or stressed any coral to the point of color loss. If you like seeing polyp extension this fish is not for you!

If you decide to get a BLJ that has not been pre-weened, by all accounts be prepared to spend a lot of time and work to try and ween it onto prepared foods.

A special concern of mine is that these are very active fish with a high metabolism. They need to have food available to them throughout the day. I had read someone elses experience with these fish and they came across a food called Rogger’s reef food. It is frozen mixture of all sorts of good seafood that can be put in a Norri clip and will hold together without dissolving in the water over time. It did not take long for the BLJ’s to realize that it was food. In the mornings I put a small piece in the clip and they will pick at it throughout the day. In general it lasts them until about 4pm each day.

While the fish are fun to watch during the day, they are very interesting to observe at night. As the lights dim they retreat to their favorite spots. They will then anchor themselves using their top spike like fin, into a coral or rock, go ridged and disguise themselves to blend in. They then remain very still and sleep there for the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three months have passed and the Beaked Leather Jackets are as healthy as ever!

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

Renton777 what type of light is over your tank?

12. Renton777

Renton777 Plankton

I have two Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue LED modules. I love them! They are very customizable in terms of color temp and intensity.