Urgent Just dosed Interceptor Spectrum

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by bobssecrtsn, Mar 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

So one of my friends hooked me up with some interceptor spectrum, it contains the active ingredients 23mg milbemycin oxime and 228mg praziquantel.

my tank is 60G cube sps dom. the reason I'm dosing this is because some of my acros have some bugs, Not the common RedBugs but BlackBugs, Yup you heard me.. I'm not sure how i got it but i treat all my frags with Bayer.
    2:30 turn off Carbon/GFO. remove hose on skimmer remove as much snails as i can.
    3:00 pm cut 1/4 peice of Chewable Tablet, smash it up.
    3:30 pm pour into tank got a bit cloudy
    4:00 pm change out GFO and Carbon. LEAVE OFF!!!
    4:30 pm as of now inspect infected corals, i can see them moving around on the specimen. what??

now this is weird, its been about an hour and all my corals has shown no slime whatsoever.

What to do now? smash up more and dose the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

are you dosing the tank with Bayer or are you using the interceptor? I'm a little confused on that....or are they one and the same? :confused:

I wouldn't go above the recommended dose. It probably would take a period of time to actually kill the bugs I would think.

4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

From what I've seen people do a Bayer dip and then another dip in Coral RX or such. How long do you dip for? Also you say a few, are these frags or are they growing onto the rocks?

This is what Aquarium Corals: Stony Coral Parasites: Red and Black Bugs: Identification Guide, Preventive Measures, and a Review of Treatment Protocols — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog says

Milbemycin Oxime (Interceptorâ„¢)

Manufacturer: Novartis AG
    Treatment protocol developed by Dustin Dorton.
    Comments: Store milbemycin oxime at room temperature.

Interceptor is a medication marketed for treatment of canine scabies, eye worms, roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and heartworms in dogs, and it has been found to be effective against at least some parasitic copepod taxa.

According to Dorton, 1 Interceptorâ„¢ tablet (intended for large dogs weighing 51-100 pounds) weighs one gram and contains 23 milligrams of milbemycin oxime. One tablet is ground to powder and 25 milligrams is added to a small container of aquarium water and mixed (this might take quite a bit of stirring). This water containing 25 mg of the tablet is sufficient to treat 10 gallons of actual water volume in the aquarium. In other words, 1 tablet containing 23 mg of milbemycin oxime will treat 380 gallons, according to Dorton (400 gallons according to my calculation). A local school or university, laboratory, or larger water or wastewater treatment plant will have an analytical scale (or balance). They might perform weight analyses for you.*

Remove all shrimp and crabs from the aquarium. Remove mechanical filtration and activated carbon. Turn off UV sterilizers and protein skimmers (but water should still circulate through these vessels in order for these volumes of water to be medically treated as well).
    Add a sufficient amount of medication to the aquarium. Allow treatment to proceed for 6 hours, and perform a 25% water change. Resume use of carbon, skimming, etc.
    Repeat this procedure 7 days later, and again after 14 days.
    * Dosage is apparently not as critical as suggested by Dorton, as time has confirmed that higher concentrations (5x or more than that recommended by Dorton) of milbemycin oxime does little, if any, harm to corals.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have used it twice.

You crush the pill and mix in some tank water. Pour into tank and leaving powerheads running turn off filtration, skimmer.....

You did not dose enough if you still see BB moving about. It killed all of mine in under 15 min both times.

You will notice a huge decline in film algae and may have a cyano out break in the next couple weeks ( I did not). Your water will appear crystal clear for a few weeks as well.

It did knock off a couple micro brittles, all of my pods, a few bristle worms. It is targeted for arthropods so it should kill your population of black bugs no problem.

6. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

I dip with Bayer as a preventitive but now i have black bugs in my reef. so im dosing Interceptor

7. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

ok i used all the tablet, crushed it up and added to the display..

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Same size tab as me and I use 1/2.

10. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

I'm not sure how your tablet looks, but mine was a 1x1 chewable tablet is this like yours?

11. Corailline

Yeah mine looked similar and came in a foil punch packet with dose and information the back.

Are you still seeing the BB?

12. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

as of now no, but im going to go wait the full 6-12 hours and then do a water chnage