Just Bought One Diiiirty Tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Elizabeth, Sep 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Plankton

I hope I posted this in the right section, but I just bought a used salt water tank today, and was looking for some expert help. The tank is 28 gallons, with bio balls and some kind of foam filter in the bank. No fish, but it had a lot of filthy live sand and rock covered in green algae growth. So, I'm trying to fix the tank up with all of its issues, of which there are many, but mainly now I'm trying to clean the tank without destroying whatever good stuff is there. The sand is covered in filth - any suggestions on what to do with it? Right now it's still covered by several inches of water. The rock is in a big bucket along with the water as well. Can I clean that off at all? I was also scrubbing algae off the sides of the tank, when I noticed a layer of red algae at the bottom, and I'd heard that this is good. Should it be left? Thanks in advance!!

2. Click Here!

3. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

Do you have the white film on the sides of the tank? I have a 55g that someone gave me for free and I has that on it, I'm guessing from the saltwater. Not sure how to get that off.

4. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

rodi water is a start.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Toss the sand. You can brush any algae or crud off the rocks with a fresh toothbrush. Just don't take it out of water for too long.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Definitely get rid of the sand. Too nasty! You can scrub the rocks with a toothbrush, or similar type of brush. But as said above, don't keep it out of the water too long.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Yes I believe that is from the dropping waterline or dirt from sand, easy th rinse off with water;)

8. Click Here!

9. stauchistory

Mine covers the entire sides of the tank and couldn't be removed with water. I think I may need to try something commercial.

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Vinegar. The buildup is likely calcium carbonate.

11. stauchistory

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The tank needs resealed so I'm going to clean it and reseal it at the same time.

In regard to the original posting, is there anyway to "recycle" used sand??? By that I mean clean it up for future use. It seems like such a shame to throw it out if there was a reasonable method for cleaning it. Maybe I'm cheap but I hate throwing things out if I can find a way to use them again.

12. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Plankton

I used vinegar on a disgusting 75 gallon crusted with that white yucky stuff and it came off with some elbow grease.

I would prefer to keep the sand if it's possible. Definitely trying to stay on a budget, but of course, there's no point doing something half right.

The tank is an "aquapod" from Current USA, and the person who had the tank before me continued to run it after the fan broke, so the top splash lens is melted. I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions where I can get another one (will try from Current).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.