Just an update!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by bbsbliss, Sep 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

Well, it's been an interesting summer! My tank is now a little over a year old, and I still love this hobby. However... (there's always a caveat!)...I've been battling hair algae this summer, and poor water conditions. I've read all the appropriate literature and combed the web, and finally ended up at my LFS for some advice. Fortunately, I'm not a total failure as a fish mom, and I'm starting to get back on track. They have me getting my water parameters under control, and in about a month adding hermits and replacement bulbs. My fish guy says by Christmas I can get a new goby (I dropped a rock on him...don't ask, I'm still devastated).
    I still check the forums, but since I have nothing positive to post, I've been just lurking about. Maybe in a month or two I can get some new pics up.
    To all of you who post helpful advice- Thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

We all have our ups and downs with our tanks, but with some TLC and a positive attitude we can over come any problems that may occur!

Just as i was asking for pics i noticed your link!

Edit: Nice pics, what species is this??

[​IMG]

4. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

That would be H. grandson, the finest example of his species!

1 person likes this.
  5. dees reef

dees reef Feather Duster

Im so excited for you! My H.Grandson arrived about the same time I got my first tank. Now he spends almost as much time as me pointing out all the other fishys. They are a little trouble though, they seem to put all their food on the glass, and they really do want to share! I hope you get your tank in order, so you can share the joy and learning with him as he grows.

6. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

I have one of those....best species ever, but mine is 4 now and LOOOOVES the hermit crabs in the tank more than the fish!

7. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

They are the best, aren't they? He gets nose to the glass and talks a mile a minute to the fish...I wonder if they understand?!

8. Click Here!

9. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Awwww, nice H. Grandson specimen! :)

10. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

Another update:
    Still with the GHA. Water quality is much improved, I've raised my Mag and Alk to much better levels. I've been removing algae weekly (the snails have "feathers" of algae!), and reduced feeding to every other day. The LFS advises 100 hermit crabs (110 gallon tank), but to me that seems excessive. I have about 6 snails and maybe 2 or 3 hermits left in the tank now, so I know I need to add to that, but 100? Anyone have a calculator for CUC quantities?

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

John Maloney at reef cleaners will customise a clean up crew for you
    probably best to get in touch Via the Reefcleaners site directly as his inbox for PMS is almost always full ( lots of enquires)

Steve

12. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

Thanks Steve, I'll contact him.