Just added Chemi-clean...........

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Fastlife, Jan 25, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

FAST....I would siphon as much as you can out when doing the water change yes. You might also want to blow off all the live rock with a powerhead or turkey baster to get any other debris off the rockwork while doing that water change. Should help rejuvenate the tank by getting all that nasty out.

If you do not remove the dead cyano...it could cause problems yes. You will be doing a water change anyway, so just incorporate the siphoning/blowing off.

T

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Fastlife, anything rotting in the tank is bad. It will just fuel the growth of more unwanted stuff!

Scoffer,,,

Pimping yourself out...LOL!!! sorry..
    Phosban is just a media that removes phosphates.

Chemiclean (I have not used) is just for cyanobacteria..so make sure that is really what you have. Use of it involves a water change after treatment.

Neither will hurt the corraline algae ;D

4. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Scoffer.....

What type of ALgae is it? Red slime? Green Slime?

If one of those 2 then Chemi-Clean will help. If it is a hair algae then no. You will need to use phosphate sponge media, a phosphate filter pad and or a Poly-filter. That will help with the hair.

You will need to find the source of the algae though for long term effectiveness. Mine was caused by an exhausted DI filter. I have orderd a new one from Walter at airwaterice, but my phosphates were sky high in the tested water and nitrates were at 20ppm in the test water also. My tank is currently covered in hair algae and some red cyano again. I am sure once the phosphate media and filter pad get to work it will help a lot. And my pruning of course which I plan to do this evening after lights out.

Hope that helps.

T

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Thanks birdlady...hehehe. ... I have a red type of algea the has become a "mat" or thick, dark red mass?. I dont know what else it can be. I'll try to photo whats left. I just did a 20 gal water change today, sucking out as much of the red stuff as possible. I will get the phosphate absorbing stuff asap. Also gonna order several seachem/saltert test kits (po4, alk, mag, any suggestions?) and a new 200 gph power head to place opposite my return head. Left side is a bit calm of current. BUT, all of red carpet stuff is on the sand, mainly on right side of tank, where the majority of current is.

Thanks for all you help....

btw, been trying the pimp thing, so far I'm in the hole for $10 bucks...

hehe....

:)

Scoffer

6. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Thank to all for the quick replys .... i will report back tomorrow on how everything is. Also i may just go out and buy that phosban that Blady was talking about. Although my last phosphate reading was .50

7. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

You want the phosphate to be less than .03 to my understanding. I have the Kent phosphate sponge media in mine. I have had it in the tank for 6 hours and noticed a nice decline in the phates. I was at 4+ and am reading 2-3 right now. I was sky high on phates. Shame on me for not catching it sooner. Won't happen again. :p

T

8. Click Here!

9. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

So i guess that my reading need to go down also. I dont understand then i have been using a RO/DI unit for op off. Why dont i have 0.0 Phosphate reading? I may just buy the one that you are talking about Poppy828. Will have to see which one my LFS has in stock?

10. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I found with my ro/di unit that the DI filter was used up. How old is your unit? Mine was only 5 months old and was readinf phates and trates. not good. Is it a 3/4/5 stage unit?

I am not sure why you have the reading you have unless you have a similar situation to mine. Not sure. Sorry.

Some of the seasoned pros may have an answer for you.

11. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Well it is only 3 months old , it is a 6 stage unit. I will take a reading right out of the unit tomorrow.

12. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

dang it!! I ordered the wrong stuff!! I orderd Seachem PhosGuard 1l instead of PhosBan!!

Is this stuff ok too?? Maybe not leave it in as long (less than a week) so nothing leaches out???

I have the brain of an African Dun Beatle!!! My ADD must be acting up!!! :)

heres my newest spendature:
    Salifert Calcium Test Kit 1 $24.00 $24.00
    TA3132 Rio 600 Powerhead/Pump UL 1 $16.95
    SF1123 Salifert KH/Alkalinity Test Ki 1 $15.00
    SF1133 Salifert Phosphate Test Kit 1 $20.00
    SC4145 Seachem Multitest: Iodine & Iodide 1 $13.99
    SC3255 Seachem PhosGuard 1L 1 $9.99

well at least I got through the order process!!!!

can I have some karma for stupidity???!!! :)

Scoffer