Jumping into a Planted Tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by CupidofCrime, Apr 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

I've always been a bit wary of having a planted tank. I've had all sorts of reef setups and species specific saltwater tanks before, but the freshy planted tanks always scared me.

So I'm deciding to tackle my fears. I cleaned my SW 29 Biocube that has been down for about 3 months. (Can't go long before the tank bug bites you!;D)
    Filled with 15lbs Black Seachem Fluorite, 5 pieces of driftwood from a friends established tank, and RO.

A few questions for you guys, and a request you check out my stock list.

1. Do you plant while the tank is in it's cycling phase?
    2. 10k or 6700.. discuss
    3. Dosing Co2 or using an injector?

Proposed Stock List

*Keep in mind I want a more natural Japanese style aquascape and livestock feel.

6-10 - Gold Cobra Guppies
    2 - Neon Blue or Dwarf Gouramis
    3-4 - Glass Shrimp
    2-4 - Mystery snails (love these guys had 'em before)

And a ton of dwarf plants. Maybe only 2-3 species to stay with the style?
    I'll need help with these.
    I want something that will carpet well and not be too demanding.

I'll take some photos as soon as the water clears.
    Thanks guys!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Look forward to the images.

I am right there with you, planted tanks intimidate me a little too, but man they are beautiful.

4. moondogg

moondogg Astrea Snail

Sounds Fun, Good Luck!

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I will be following this one, as I just converted to fresh, and want to do the same thing. I think, from what I have read, that the first thing is to get the correct substrate. I switched my Halides to 10k from 14k. Alot of people say that halides just grow algae. So far, not the case. Then again, I have 4 Plecos in there. I was going to test things out in my Fuge first. Same principle as Chaeto, or Mangroves, plants consume nitrates. Just got mine up and running, so it is research time. Post some pics.

6. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Good luck! Before I started my reef I tried a planted tank and didn't have much luck. I found keeping a reef somewhat easier. Guess I was willing to dump more cash on a reef than I was a fresh water tank planted. When I think about it my issues I think was with the lighting and CO2. For a lot less the money I could have invested in some really nice stuff and maybe had a nice planted tank. They are nice.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Please see answers in red. Good luck and enjoy.

8. Click Here!

9. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Oh 2in10 strikes again with his wisdom :) I was checking out your jungles and am blown away and totally inspired. I will definitely be in your ear with more questions.

"1 species of fish is usually kept in Japanese (Amano) style tanks." I've noticed that the more research i do. However, coming off of the reef it's hard not to want your "Show Fish". if ya know what i mean!

"Shrimp and fish are usually not kept together." - Reef Habits die hard i guess. And i'd like some sort of scavenger to help me to keep everything clean!

I think i may go with Dwarf baby tears and dwar hair grass mingled together.
    I read an article by Amano that said he literally took each blade and planted it individually. 100's were planted.
    That approach (as insane as it sounds) definitely interests me.

The water is still a bit cloudy, but should be clear by tonight. Might have to do with the driftwood...

I'll post pics with the scape ASAP.

10. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

I had a planted tank for several years before i got into saltwater, i have to say it was a lot of fun and very cool. I sorta miss it!

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can keep fish and shrimp together but you need to make sure the shrimp are larger species and the fish are very small species.

The planting is done without water it the tank or at a very, very low level.

Tweezers and forceps will be a huge aid for this.

12. xJamesC28

xJamesC28 Bristle Worm

Planted tanks don't scare me at all. Reefs still scare me to this day yet I own one.