Jumpers - That potato chip behind your tank

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Jun 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[​IMG]
    My Dried Goby

Well April's Fish of the Month didn't fare so well. One of my Diamond Gobies took the big leap. :p I found him after a while next to my hang on the back skimmer.

Amazingly I used to have one years ago and knew from experience that they were jumpers so I took precautions and covered nearly my entire top with glass:

[​IMG]

Yet it found the corner pocket and went for it. I couldn't believe it as my Tunze pump covers most of the open space. Crap. Oh well. Keeping these fish in such a small tank was really hard - I had to feed A LOT more to get them some food as they mowed the sand early on. Impulse buy burns again. I still like these fish a lot, but have a bigger size tank and apparently a serious lid!!!!! :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Matt, I'm sorry for your loss. The same thing happened to me with my true percs. One jumped out through may a 1/2" gap and landed under my old flouro light. Pinned between that and the glass, game over. This was at lunch time last week maybe Tuesday or something. I proceeded to take off the glass and leave it open water. Went back to work, came home and found the 2nd perc behind the tank on the ground. sigh.

1 person likes this.
  4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sorry about your goby Matt but I can't help but laugh at the thread title :lol: I've had my share of potato chips in the past and it's never a fun thing.

1 person likes this.
  5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

They look so crunchy. Man, why did the doofus do that?

6. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I've been told over IRC that fish do that to escape the clutches of bad husbandry. They just cant take it and know that suicide is a better way out.

haha

7. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

I to have had Gobies that have comitted suicide by jumping out and then baking under the PC's. I talked to a LFS and they suggested the egg crate type material that covers flourescent light fixtures to cover ALL of the nooks and cranies.

8. Click Here!

9. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Sorry for your loss Matt ..... been there myself with a Redtail Shark when I had a fresh water tank. I couldn't believe the gap he managed to needle through.

On a lighter side (and not to sound crude or heartless) I must say your pic above would make a cool avatar, looks kind of Gothic.

Cheers :)

10. eznet2u

eznet2u Plankton

Sorry about the goby Matt.:-/
    My 55g F/W clouded up yesterday, I found a 1/2" baby
    Silver Barb had jumped between the glass lid and the
    glass brace in the middle of the tank, about a 1/4".
    It had wedged itself in halfway across the brace.
    Half inch fish in 1/4" space.
    :confused:

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Samething happened to me Matt, only it was a Snowflake Morray. I just bought the eel that day. Nighttime came and he jumped.
    Suggestion: get rid of the all-glass top for two reasons:1) heat build up in your tank causing water temp to elevate due to less evaporational cooling.
    2) allows less light to penetrate your tank.
    I would use a screen of some sort or eggcrate as mentioned by FISH FAN. this way everything stays in the tank, light is able to penetrate with greater intensity and you allow for better temp control by letting evaporation cool the water and the heat has a bigger area to be dispersed!

12. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

well join the club mine jumped out 1 month ago took me a week to find him looked all over the tank and that was a mess and then kitty found him for me gotta love fish jerky!