Joining the ATS crowd, DIY style! (Update plumbing pics)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by insanespain, Sep 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Well I'm finally going to join the Algae Turf Scrubber crowd, due to the awesome writeup by Floyd R Turbo, high nitrates in my tank, not wanting to pay for a skimmer, and a dying need for some more DIY projects ;D.

Since I'm out of room under my stand, I am building a cabinet to sit next to the tank that will match the stand. This is going to house my new ATS along with all of my other goodies that are currently out in the open. Here is what I came up with so far.

This took me about 5 minutes to get this much done, and here's my total cost as of now:

Storage tote from walmart: $6

Plumbing - free from work :p

7 Sheets of clear mesh for screen: $10
    Amazon.com: Artist Plastic Canvas 7 Count 13-5/8x21-5/8"-Clear: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Total cost so far - $16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The screen will probably be 11" x 7". It will be lit from both sides with 8 Osram 660nm Red 3w leds (4 on each side), and a Meanwell dimmable driver to control the intensity.

It will be fed by a MagDrive pump in the sump. I'm going to install two 1 inch bulkheads in the bottom for drains back to the sump with spa flex.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. embro

embro Plankton

Looks good and simple. I am too trying to redo mine because mine is probably running at 30% of what it could be.

Please keep this thread updated as the project evolve!

4. insanespain

Thanks. I just ordered the parts for the led light tonight.

5. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Awesome Project Subscribed!!!!

Thank you!!

6. insanespain

The mesh for the screen, leds, driver, and heat sinks should be here next week so I can do some more work on it. All I'm lacking is a pump, stuck between going with a mag5 or mag7.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

sweet dude. wish i had room to build one of these but im tapped out on space lol
    isnt even the mag5 going to be to much?

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

Well they say at least 35gph per inch of screen width. Mine is 11 inches so that's 385pgh of flow. Plus the length of plumbing and height. Mag 5 mite do it but it would suck to need more

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

ahh ic. i guess i havent really researched them enough. mag 5 just seemed like alot to me lol

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

AWESOME! Congratulations, I think you are going to be very very happy!! How are you planning to mount the leds and protect them from salt creep/humidity?

12. insanespain

I'm thinking about running an acrylic rod through the top on each side of the screen and hanging the heatsinks from that. Then I will put a piece of plexiglass on either side of the screen for salt creep