Joe's 90 Gallon Build 1/10/15

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by JCerillo70, Jan 12, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JCerillo70

JCerillo70 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi Guys,

So i Started Sunday with my build for my new 90 Gallon i bought on craigslist pre-owned. I used to have a 40 breeder tank for a year, but got rid of it when we moved. So now its time for what i always wanted...A big tank

Sunday i started building the Tank Stand, taking my time so it comes out perfect. I might have made it too short at 30", but i remember my 36" stand was way to high so i can live with the 30".
    Here's some progress pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still have to stain it (mahogany gel)

The tank was definitely filthy when i bought it but some white distilled vinegar and water fixed most of that up :)
    Before & After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After vinegar bath
    [​IMG]
    As far as gear goes, I have to break it up into 2 weeks (cough cough...Paychecks) Worth.
    1st:

> 5- 20lb bags of live sand (for tank and refugium) too much?
    > 75lbs BRS dry live rock ( i have a nice piece that's from my old tank that will make up for the other 20 LBS
    > value plus RO/DI water system
    > One and only bacteria drops
    > A bucket of "Red Sea Coral Pro Salt"

2nd:

X2) Jaebro RW8 pumps
    X2) Highly Recomended 16" LED fixture
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/141279189611?_mwBanner=1

I already picked up a refugium & skimmer combo from my friend
    -->
    AE Tech Protean 400 Deluxe Refugium AIO System

& ordered my 2 Mag 7 pumps and most of the plumbing supplies..My tank is drilled so there is no return hole... However i did order the hang over return pipe so that will be ok.

Ill keep everyone updated as we go. Thursday im going to stain the stand.

Any tips or advice along the way is greatly appreciated. This time i want to have a paired goby and shrimp. But i def want another Diamond Watchman Goby, he was my favorite. So i have to make sure they are compatible gobies and they dont fight.Any gobies that sit on top of the rocks? while my watchman sits below. i was thinking a Randall goby and Randall pistol shrimp and the watchman and 2 scarlet , but the pistol might kill the cleaners...

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Beautiful job on the stand. Looking forward to seeing what color you stain it.

As for the Gobies I have never really mixed them. I did have a YWG and a pistol for years, I really enjoyed them. Once the pistol eventually died I can not say that I did not enjoy water clarity 24/7 again. Also it was nice to put corals on the sand bed again without the pistol accosting them.

4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

stand looks great but my only thought is if sump/refugium going under cabinet how is your protein skimmer height and do you have enough room to remove it without having to tilt or anything.

My biggest frustration with my old tank was the difficulty I had getting easy access and removal of protein skimmer.

Just a thought and you may want to dry fit the sump/refugium and all components iun the stand if you have not already done so.

Maybe you already took this into account!!

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Along for the ride, building my own 90 gallon as we speak.

I know what you mean with the stand height. My last one was 37inches and with a 65gallon tank I needed a step stool to reach the bottom and Im 6ft lol. I built my new stand so the tank will sit about 35inches high, even if its a struggle the added room in a stand is nice and I like the tank being more eye level. Cant blame you for going shorter though, as long as it works for what you need.

6. JCerillo70

Thanks guys! Yes I definitely have to tilt the refugium to take it in and out. There's no way around it unfortunately. I got it after the stand was framed out. But I have access from the front door so I do t know how often I'll need to remove it and stuff anyway. It actually did not fit with the floor board on it so I had to take it out and let the refugium sit on the carpet

7. JCerillo70

In my head I was planning a hammer and torch coral to go in the sand. Is that a no go if I get a pistol shrimp?

Maybe a better plan b would be a few cleaner shrimps and a diamond watchman and ywg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Occasionally if you put a smaller frag or even medium frag in the sand bed do not be surprised if the pistol shrimp has used the frag to re-enforce it's lair.

10. JCerillo70

Question: The hood is kind of heavy... Maybe 15-20 lbs. Is that to heavy to rest on top of the tank?

11. JCerillo70

Quick question, can I pvc cement braided vinyl hose into pvc slip fitting? Or is there a special glue?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

The make barbed fittings to go from PVC to tubing.