Jet Black Sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by ReeferCatFish, Dec 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReeferCatFish

ReeferCatFish Plankton

Hello to everyone!! I'm almost ready to start setting up my 65 reef tank and I have just a couple considerations left. I noticed at least one brand of live sand that looks to be jet black in color. I was really attracted to the idea of all black sand but I've never seen it in person. Can anyone comment on how this black sand will look?

I was planning on purchasing about 40 lbs of Timora rock from Premium Aquatics for this aquarium. One thought I had is shouldn't my sand match my rock in color for the most natural look? On the other hand, won't the black color help to minimize algae growth? Will it absorb heat too? Is this sand-in-a-bag worth it at all?

So before I go ordering many bags of this stuff I'd like to hear from anyone who has seen black sand in an aquarium before and maybe those who have experience with this particular sand, or one of their other varieties.

Heres the black sand I'm considering:
    https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/239688/product.web

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

RCF

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It looks cool but requires higher lighting if you want corals. It absorbs light instead of reflecting it and it does absorb heat.

Why don't you try 50/50. The salt and pepper beds look nicer to me.

4. Poseidon

Poseidon Astrea Snail

I don't have "black" sand, but I do have a deep gray. I used the SeaChem Gray coast sand, and I like it.

As for heat, no I don't see any advantages at all in heat. Algae grows on the sand just as much as it did when I hand a white sandbed.

It really will come down to personal preference, AND a plan to buffer, as none of the black or gray sands have the same buffering advantages as the good ole Calcium Carbonate sand does.

5. mile high reefer

mile high reefer Fire Shrimp

yes algae will grow on black sand even faster. I used it in refugium tank it looks cool. I only wish I would not have mixed crushed coral in with fine sand in main tank as it looks dirty compaired to the fine sand.

6. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

i'd prefer sand that looked more natural. black sand just would'nt give the effect of a real reef. but thats justmy opinion. being born in the phillipines my memories of going to the beach and sticking my head in the water and seeing coral is sorta why i made a reef tank. the closer to actual nature is what's best.

7. ReeferCatFish

ReeferCatFish Plankton

Thanks to everyone for the replies!!

I guess a lot of this is personal opinion and I'm just not sure what I want...

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Once you go black....
    I like white but would like to see some pics if you go black... i've seen some cool tanks with black.

10. ReeferCatFish

ReeferCatFish Plankton

It seems like the black sand could look really cool, but I just want to be sure. I will definitely be posting pics as I set my tank up and I'll be sure to take pics of whatever sand I get, black or otherwise.

Thanks again for everyone's input!!

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

if your gonna house corals a lighter color sand would work better to reflect light.

12. ReeferCatFish

ReeferCatFish Plankton

Thats the best argument against the black sand I could think of too. Great point, thank you for the reply.