Jebo Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by GraviT, Jul 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. deepcdv

deepcdv Plankton

I have had that odyssea skimmer for about 2 weeks now, its pretty crappy. I cut the intake tube down about 1 1/2" popped out the three outer air inlets (to increase water flow) and plugged the airline into the center connection, the pump still wasn't pulling hard enough to draw much air so I hooked it to a tiny air pump. Result of all this... I get "wet" bubbles definately not much concentration. Definately not doing a very good job. I caved in and ordered a remora pro... I did get an odyssea canister filter about a month ago and that thing is GOOD TO GO, it blows away the viaqua that I previously had and cost about 1/3 as much.

2. Click Here!

3. ItalianNJ

ItalianNJ Astrea Snail

That skimmer is definately a piece of JUNK. :-/ I ordered it from ebay - was 50 bux... and the funny thing is my LFS is selling that one for $189.. I laughed.

I put it back in the box... maybe I will just sell it or throw it out.

4. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

I just got one cause it looks like it has all the materials for a DIY project. As it was acquired I doubt it would work (for example the skimmer cup is a sealed monster. How would skimmate go up to it? Most skimmers I saw had some holes or ports but the Jebo and Weipro models were sealed tight) unless you mod it so much. Modding might even be fun for some.
    In any case it is cheap and should be bought by DIY more than hobbyist. For hobbyist you'd better get the easier to use (albiet expensive but worth it) products like Euro-reef.

5. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

The Jebo 520 look alike of the Euro Reef is US 88 dollars here and the Weipro 2014 Venturi a look alike of HOT skimmers is US 40 dollars and the Marine Aqua Needle Wheel Skimmer is US 190. They are junk and only good to modders/DIY guys. (cheap source of plastic)

6. chuckiecc

chuckiecc Plankton

jebo looks great...!!!

Thanks for the links to the skimmers.. They look like a great deal. Im not sure what would separate a really good skimmer from a bad one.. but, for the money, I dont think I can go wrong.. thanks guys...

cc

7. serpent

serpent Astrea Snail

hay there i just got the same skimmer work's good ;D

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I bought the same skimmer and it's never worked right. (P.O.S.) I had to install an air pump and make a cut in the air tube to get it properly work. How stupid am I...I went from Via Aqua to this.(duh) You are all correct....You get what you pay for!

I do have a few questions: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:)

Are very small air bubbles detrimental to a tank?
    Any reasons why my anemone has shrunk and what can I do to get it bigger again? Water is all perfect!
    Very little pink ever grows, mostly a dark red or burngundy color, how do I get more pink? I do about 20 gal h20 changes about 1x per mo. to month & 1/2.

6 year old s.w.t.
    55gal Tank
    Live rock(about 25-30#?)
    Couple of Conch Shells
    Live sand/crushed coral mix
    1 Hermit crab
    1 Worm Gobie? (Black eel looking guy about 8 inches long with yellow spots, lives under the rocks and digs out tunnels) I've had this guy since he was a baby, about an inch long.
    1 clown fish w/anemone(who has shrunk to about the size of a pea)
    1 what appears to be a cichlid of some sorts
    1 Striped Damsel
    1 yellow with white & black fish, looks like a tang but it turns brown and has pointy spikes for fins, that he raises when in protection mode or sleeping.
    Turbo snails
    1 yellow and 1 brown cucumber worm
    Not sure of what kind of lights I have, but they were recommended by my lfs.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

A few micro bubbles are no big deal. They just don't look good.

Funny, my slightly modified Jebo is still just chunking along. Internally it produces tons of tiny bubbles and a has fairly long contact time. It makes a healthy amount of nasty dry foam.

BTW, if your lights are 6 years old they are long over due to be changed.

11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

No, the lights are about 1 1/2 years old. How do I get rid of the bubbles? is there a filter or something I can put over the end to capture them?

12. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

You can try some foam or build a bubble trap.