Jebo Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by GraviT, Jul 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Has anybody had any experience with a Jebo in-sump skimmer? I've had mine running for about a week and get nothing but funky, watery stuff in the collection cup. According to the picture on the box (no, there are no instructions), I have it dialed in correctly, or close to it. The thing was a pain for about 3 days, would never seem to maintain the right water level, so at least that has passed. Where is my lovely brown skimmate? [smiley=annoyed.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nearly all skimmers need to break in (get the main tube scumy) - this takes a few weeks.

Not familiar with that skimmer but do you have a float switch to handle evaporation in the sump?

I used to have major problems with skimmers before I automated the replacement of water.

Welcome to 3reef! :)

4. GraviT

No, I haven't taken on the float/evaporation task yet, I'm still trying to get decent lighting on the tank. (wife already thinks I've spent too much money! :eek: ) Hopefully, the skimmer will eventually work as expected, but what the heck, I only paid $26 for the thing on ebay!

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow! That's cheap for a skimmer.
    FYI, a kent marine float switch is only around $15. ;) :)

6. GraviT

Yeah, it was a great price! It's brand new, in the box with a 528 gph pump. There is a guy on ebay who sells these things all the time. I've been able to find them in a couple of on line shops for about $90..so it seems like a heck of a deal! From what I've read elsewhere, the design is based on the "old queen skimmers'"..if that makes any sense.

Here is a pic: http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/1e/28/41_1_b.JPG

The skimmer seems to be doing a bit better tonight, the foam seems to be a bit dryer and is rising pretty well.. I poured off the wet stuff in the cup and it was brownish with lots of junk floating in it. At least I know it's catching something!

If the switch is that cheap, I'm all over it! I'll make it a quickie project before I start working on my canopy this weekend.

7. GraviT

Matt, do you know where I can order a Kent Marine float switch for that price? I haven't found anything cheaper than $60 yet!

Thanks in advance

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

WoW. That's a pretty good looking skimmer for $26! :eek:
    Not what I was expecting.

[quote author=GraviT link=board=Protein;num=1090266888;start=0#5 date=07/20/04 at 11:50:54]Matt, do you know where I can order a Kent Marine float switch for that price?  I haven't found anything cheaper than $60 yet!

Thanks in advance[/quote]

I can't remember, I'll look when I get off work. ;) :)

10. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

I think the part Matt is referring to is just the float valve not the whole unit. If it was I am thinking of I have one sitting here I bought a year or two ago for another project I never went thru with.  Is this it? http://marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=KM1675

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Shawn, that's it! :)
    That's the same one I used to have.

12. GraviT

Just an update for those looking at these things on ebay. After a couple of weeks, and a good coat of slime in the skimmer, the thing is working rather well.

If you do decide to order one, be careful when attaching the pump and placing the skimmer into the sump. (it is definitely an in-sump design). I managed to crack the input housing, which was easily fixed by slipping a piece of hose over the fitting then attaching the power head.

Also, there are no instructions. There is, however, a diagram on the side of the box that shows how it would sit in a tank and where the water level should be in the skimmer. I would not really consider using it in tank, as there is a lot of bubbles in the output stream.
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]