JBL ammonium test kit

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by maxxtk, Dec 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. maxxtk

maxxtk Spaghetti Worm

Hello :)
    Not sure i'm in the right forum but i'll give it shot. My tank has been cycling for a month now. I've been using the JBL NH4 test kit to measure the ammonia content. I know that NH4 is an NH3 ion but I couldn't find an NH3 only test kit and the LFS said this one should be fine.
    At the beginning of the cycle it did show a major spike but it looks like in the past two weeks the test kit is "stuck" on 0.05 with no change (my NO2 is on 0.1 and NO3 is 10). The test kit does not have a zero value.
    Does any of you have an experience with this test kit? Does it mean I still have an ammonia in the water? (my reason says no ammonia = no reaction = no change in color). Also, do you think now will be a good time to preform a WC?

Thank you all! :fish:

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

jbl is what I use and I feel comfortable with them. dont quote me on this but NH3 is the non toxic version of ammonia and is therefore not important to test (why is it non toxic?...good question)

hang in there, I congratulate you for having shown this much patience but keep at it! once the cycle is ended but sure not to "overload" it by adding to much live stock to quickly. if the test constantly shows the result "<0.05" then it means you should be good. i would personally give it another couple weeks but thats my 2 cents.

I believe there is a test you can do by adding a pinch of food or something to the tank and seeing how the water reacts if there are no particular spikes it means the bacteria present on your live rock are capable of breaking it down

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  4. maxxtk

maxxtk Spaghetti Worm

Thank you for your answer, I will do that :) I have plenty of patience, this is the first thing you gotta have in this hobby, isn't it? Even when people told me to add bottled bacteria I said no, I want things to happen as naturally as possible.
    btw, I'm pretty sure NH3 (aka ammonia) is the toxic one, and NH4+ (ionized NH3 aka ammonium) is the none-toxic one. For some reason the test kit (and most of the test kits) tests for NH4 and not NH3. I'm not really sure why.
    Do you think it's the right time to perform a water change?

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Youre right ( had a little palm to face moment after i posted my reply) and with this i would say not to do a water change unless your nitrates are off the chart.

Nitrate is the last stage of the cycle and its what you want to eliminate with water changes (while replenishing your other trace elements) ammonia, whatever its form, should be broken down by your bacteria. At least from what i understand of the hobby.