JBJ ATO - Anyone have it?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ccscscpc, Apr 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I think you are just guessing. The audible alarm is set by the user... by moving jumpers it can sound for the float switch or by level not being met within 5 minutes. It comes from the factory set to level not being met in 5 minutes... I set mine to switch because I don't want the alarm to sound if jug is dry, it's no big deal I check it when I get home and no before it needs to be changed anyway.

If the Tunze controller failed then the pump would not come on... if it was several failures in a row...well who knows. I would like to know why a user said it did not work properly and why it is unreliable instead of just talking about some guy I don't know. The reputation of the Osmaolator by tons of users is pretty solid. Of course anything can happen at some point.

2. Click Here!

3. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

I have one the only PITA is the 15 min auto shut off i wish there was a way to disable that since i dont get enough water pumped in. I have it hooked to kalk reactor as my make up water, so i only want to drip it in and 15 min doesnt cut it

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

The alarm did not go off, and the float switch was fine.

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Well, considering that several mini to all out floods have happened to a few members of my club that use osmolators, I don't know if I can blame the error to be fully on the operators.

Like I said before, it's not 100% foolproof, and for that I think it is overpriced.

Add a little fool proofing to any decent float switch operated ATO and you will have a system that costs a lot less and won't cause a flood.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

And just on paper, there is more fool proofing built into the Tunze controller. Just by your experience with 3 people you know with 3 Tunze ATOs... the Tunze CAUSED a flood 100% of the time. Don't know what to say.. That's your experience.

However, the reputation Tunze ATO has does not fit. Certainly does not fit my experience. I don't even clean my sensor. Worked flawlessly since I had it. Flip the float switch every now and then just to make sure it still works. Has overfill protection, great level control, pump run dry stop, audible alarms configured to your liking. Great product. And if the pump finally craps out...$15 from Marine Depot. What's not to like?

What causes floods is operators using a reservoir bigger than the system can hold and hooking up auto RO/DI for endless supplies of water. My sump can hold my 7 gallon jug..... even with the power out. The Tunze can completely loose it's mind and not a drop will hit the floor. And no, my Tunze has never pumped my bottle non stop.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Powerman, there are many more than 3 guys using osmolators in the club I am in. There are more guys using tunze ATO's than any other brand in my club, and we have over 80 paid members. I agree that the tunze does have more safeties than other brands, and that overly big TO containers create the possibility of a flood.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

And I can agree nothing is infallible.

10. Dobrzemetal

Dobrzemetal Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

how does a float switch fair to an optical sensor with reguard to water level precision?

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

optical sensor is superior when it comes to precision.

12. Dobrzemetal

Dobrzemetal Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yea?, I thought so. I've been thinking of shelling out the 200 bucks for a tunze, I like the assurance of the redundant backup switch and the features of the controller, have to do something with student loans :) HAHA