jbj 24g nano problems

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by elbeesea, Feb 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elbeesea

elbeesea Astrea Snail

I've had a jbj 24g nano set up since July 06 and have sent back 3 hoods and a ballast. And they have charged my LFS shipping both ways each time which I feel badly about. Am I doing something wrong or is this a common problem with JBJ? Could it be something to do with my electrical outlet? It's a 4 socket outlet, but none of the other items using the outlets have problems...

2. Click Here!

3. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

When you say 3 hood's what was wrong with them? and did the ballast just go out on its own? or did something happen to make it go out? (lights in the water? power surge? wires short out?) if you could provide more info i could better try to figure out your problem.
    -Jordan

4. elbeesea

elbeesea Astrea Snail

the problems

OK, I'm gonna sound like a techno-phobic dink, cuz I don't recall the specific details, (which I will be getting tomorrow from the poor guy at the lfs so that I can compose an intelligent rant letter to jbj). But here's the basic rundown:

Day One (July 06): Set up the tank - turned it on and everything was great, but decided to move it to a better spot. Set it up again, plugged it in and fireworks popped out of the hood. Blew a fuse, replaced it and it exploded again. Took back to lfs, determined it was the circuit board (if not a circuit board, then something like it), and sent the part back to jbj.

Maybe water splashed into the ballast? We were very careful...

Week later: New part comes in. LFS installs, but then lights don't work. LFS sends back entire hood and we get a new one.

Week later: New hood comes and all is well until last week, tho in between then and now the fan would make a rukus when I turned it on. I'd bang it a few times and it would stop. That problem subsided after a couple months tho (I finally knocked some sense into it).

One week ago: turned on the ballast, lights came on then went off with no fanfare, but fans worked. I took it in to lfs, they shipped back to jbj and didn't get new one till yesterday. Plugged it in and hood exploded - fans stopped.

Note: I have seen an occasional little spark when plugging the ballast into the outlet (I always unplug everything when I do water changes). But have never had a problem plugging anything else into the same outlets.

Other than these problems the tank is fantastic - I've had unusually good luck with all my critters - anemone, maze coral, toadstool - all look great.

Thanks for your input...

5. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Well, what do you mean when you say exploded? The lights flashed and then went out and wouldent turn back on? If that is the case it sound like you have some sort of a short in the outlet or the hood. If you are electrical savvy you could turn the breaker off that controlls that outlet and check things out in there. Make sure the wires are all tight and Look for burn marks or anything that looks wierd. Other than that maybe some water is leaking somewhere that you dont know about or dont see. If you dont already have a drip loop i would reccomend one to keep what out of there plug.

Good luck!
    -Jordan

6. elbeesea

elbeesea Astrea Snail

Electrically saavy I'm not, but I'm beginning to think that could be the problem.

When I plugged in the ballast yesterday, the lights went on for a moment, then there was a pop, then smoke... Does the ballast draw a lot more juice than the tank or heater? Cuz those are all plugged into the same outlet (4 socket - nothing is on extension cords), and I've never had problems with them.

Meanwhile, if I don't get an electrician out here before I get the new hood back, should I run it onto a heavy duty extension cord, into a surge protector, and then into another outlet? Thanks again...

7. BlackWhiteYellow

BlackWhiteYellow Astrea Snail

yeah why not give that a go first, it will at least eliminate the possibility of faulty wiring in the socket you previously used. if nothing bad happens try the old socket. if kaboom then at least you'll know its that plug.

if you get a kaboom in the first place then maybe you are cursed and need black magic.

good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. elbeesea

elbeesea Astrea Snail

but what about...

Come to think of it, my lfs loaned me a hood, which works just fine - no sparks plugging in etc... What would the difference be between the ballast being separate and a hood that has both?

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

There really shouldn't be any difference between those two setups that I can think of other than longer wire.

Are you plugging it into a grounded outlet?
    Is this an old house (with old electric)?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. What a pain.

JBJ has a pretty good rep I thought. :p

11. elbeesea

elbeesea Astrea Snail

Grounded outlet? Not sure... how can I check? (I'm electrically challenged).
    Our house is 20 yrs old... is that old? A weird thing is that when the ballast was on, the am radio reception in the kitchen (tank in living room) gets static. Of course, the guy that built our house is now driving the neighborhood ice cream truck... Maybe a professional electrician's input is in order.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

3 prong outlet.

Not too bad.

Ok I wasn't sure until that last line. :)

There are ohmmeters and things like that out there that may help deduce this but I wouldn't know how to use one either. Someone here may be able to help or a real electrician as you suggested. I think this is rather strange I would be curious to here what you find out. Please keep me posted.