JaysLittleOcean's 10 Gallon Nano Reef.

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by JaysLittleOcean, Jan 31, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean Spaghetti Worm

Well my last aquarium once again became to difficult to manage because of the demand from my job and I needed to be able to do water changes and other tank maintenance faster with a smaller water volume. So I decided to get a little crazy and repurpose some of my live rock and all of my equipment to a new 10 gallon system located on my desk in my home office. This way if I had to do aquarium maintenance I would not have to leave my desk in order to get it done. So feel free to tag along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SkyFire, DSC reef and kornaco40B like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Looking good! I'm watching this... very happy clowns, too.

SkyFire likes this.
  4. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

SWEET!!!!!!! Looks great... I just purchased on Saturday two new tanks from Petsmart. A 10 gallon for $10 & 20 gallon long for $20 but I put them away on a shelf in garage because I'm not sure what to do with them? I don't know if I should do 2 seperate tanks or the original idea I had was 20 gallon long with 10 gallon being a sump for office or garage?

I'm watching this also...Ory

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Very nice jay, well done!

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

looks really good! so glad you were able to stay in the hobby

SkyFire likes this.
  7. JaysLittleOcean

So I had to do a little rework of the aquarium and start from scratch. The reason being was because like most people I don't have a quarantine aquarium. So most of the new corals I purchased where placed right into my older display tank. Well one of the beautiful corals came with an Aptasia Anemone and that little devil decided to spread all over the aquascape. So I did what any logical person would do. I tore down the aquarium and started with all new base rock. Unfortunately my two beautiful Snowflake Clownfish are going to have to go along with the ride for the cycle since I don't have any other place to put them. But I am closely monitoring the water levels and diligently conducting water change every week like a good boy. So feel free to tag along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. JaysLittleOcean

10. JaysLittleOcean

Here is a list of equipment that I currently have running on my 10 gallon aquarium.

-Tunze DOC Skimmer 9004
    -Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6096 (x2)
    -Tunze Multicontroller 7095
    -Tunze Osmolator 3155 Auto Top Off
    -Ecotech Marine Radio XR30W G3 Pro (12 Hour Lighting Schedule)
    -Ecotech Marine Reeflink Wireless Controller
    -Innovative Marine Minimax Desktop All In One Reactor (Activated Carbon)
    -Innovative Marine Minimax Desktop All In One Reactor (Granular Ferric Oxide - Currently not in use because of the pump failing and I am waiting for warranty repair on the unit)
    -Neptune Apex Controller (Not currently setup as I am still debating on whether or not it is needed on this system)

To be perfectly honest I always had my hands in my previous aquariums and it always seemed as though something went wrong. With this aquarium I have been a lot more hands off and things seem to be going smoothly. One of my pumps has a very good amount of coralline algae growing on it that was not present in my other systems. It grows out more and more with each passing day. I take this as a very good sign. I guess my long hours at work are a benefit to my aquarium after all.

11. JaysLittleOcean

So things with work have been busier than ever and I have been wanting to to get on the forums to give everyone an update as to how the new tank is progressing... and finally I'm on. I wish I could upload some photographs but maybe I can get some up tomorrow. So the aquarium is going through its paces as it slowly cycles. Now I have never personally completed a cycle without lights and that was probably the biggest cause of my algae problems during the evolution of the aquarium. So I was going to try it on this new aquarium. However, I have found the sweet spot with my EcoTech Marine Radion XR30W G3 Pro settings and the Coraline Algae growth in just the last three weeks alone has been incredible. So who am I to stop progress, and just as simple as that I will not be doing a lightless cycle. But that leads way to BRING ON THE ALGAE. So I just placed an order with Reef Cleaners for their 10 gallon cleanup crew consiting of (10 Dwarf Ceriths, 3 Nassarius, 6 Florida Ceriths and 4 Nerites). The little critters should be here next week and I try and post some photographs of the aquarium tomorrow evening.

kornaco40B likes this.