Jasonanatal's 120 Gallon "Advanced Complexity" Reef Aquarium.

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Jasonanatal, Feb 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Nice setup! One question though, what happened to the tangs?

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Looks like they were the first ones in the tank. Gone with the cycle?

4. Jasonanatal

Jasonanatal Flamingo Tongue

Reply to Stepho.

Stepho, thank you for the compliments on my aquascaping.

1 person likes this.
  5. Jasonanatal

Reply to Rogerstammy.

Rogerstammy, thank you for the compliment.

6. Jasonanatal

Reply to Bigjoeybx.

Bigjoeybx, definitely was a crazy algae bloom but I have it under control now. I have been to New World Aquarium. I stop in from time to time to pick up little items that I can't wait for shipping but other then that I order from online retailers.

7. Jasonanatal

Reply to IBMGeek.

IBMGeek, thank you for the compliment. Unfortunately both Tangs died from a massic outbreak of Ich. I'm assuming that it was due to stress in not having enough hiding spots since my water parameters were under control with the use of Prodibio Supplements.

8. Click Here!

9. Jasonanatal

Reply to ZachB.

ZachB, I monitored my water paramters throughout the cycle and the levels were not near a lethal level to blame their death on the cycle. They were most likely stressed because they had no hiding sports since I got the Marco Rocks after their death.

10. Jasonanatal

Jasonanatal's 120 Gallon "Natural Simplicity" Reef Aquarium Update.

Aquarium Issue: Algae Bloom Solution (Installation of the Tunze 6060 Pump to Improve Flow)

Well most opinions seemed to go along with my personal thoughts on the matter. High Phosphates combined with cycling rock and low flow result in my excessive algae bloom. So I have implemented some things that should results in resolving the problem completely. Some were immediate and other are planned.

I love my EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W pump which has a controllable flow from 200 gph to 3200 gph. Unfortunately as a stand alone pump in a 120 gallon aquarium I don't think that is enough. However, I plan on purchasing two to three more EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W pumps to handle all of my flow needs. But at this time I supplemented the flow with my Tunze 6060 pump which I normally use to mix my saltwater. The Tunze 6060 is rated for 1585 gph and has more then done the job for providing the extra flow that I need. Already the Red Slime Algae is being removed from the sand and rocks and the algae growing on the glass has actually slowed down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Photograph - Sunday, January 04, 2009 - Tunze 6060 installed temporarily until I can purchase more EcoTech Marin Vortech MP40W pumps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Photograph - Before Friday, January 02, 2009 & After Sunday, January 04, 2008 - Normally the aquarium would look like the top photo at the end of the day but not after the installation of the Tunze 6060.

11. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I have to say I love your set up mostly because I have The exact same tank and I like to see how someone else picks out equipment and so on . That sucks about the tangs they were really nice looking. What was the black one called again I am thinking that is going to be on my radar from now on very cool. You are going to love the MP40 I have one in my 120 set up in the same spot Middle of the side 3/4 of the way up and on the short pulse setting (blue) I am getting a 1 inch swell across the tank. I like the rock work as well. You may have really hard water being in the city so that might be a source to your algae problem. My brother in law lives in manhattan and he complains about the hard water from the old pipes in his apt. You should look in to an RODI setup.

12. Jasonanatal

Jasonanatal's 120 Gallon "Natural Simplicity" Reef Aquarium Update.

Equipment: Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer (Performance Update)

I've had the Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer for about 3 weeks now and I'm sure everyone is wanting to see an update on its performance especially with my little algae issue. I used the integrated Nozzle that allows you to extend the collection cup to a seperate waste container (in my case a 2.5 gallon All Glass Aquarium) via a Vinyl Tube. The photograph below shows just around 1.5 gallons of thick, rotten smelling skimmate. I couldn't even shine a beam of light from a Mag Lite through to the other side.

[​IMG]
    Photograph - Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 1.5 gallons of skimmate produced from my Red Sea C-Skim 1200 Deluxe Protein Skimmer in one week.

2 people like this.