Jack Dempsey & Green Terror Information

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by ColonelKirtz, Jan 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColonelKirtz

ColonelKirtz Plankton

What's up people? I'm new to the forums, my friend stepho showed me the site. I figured this would be a good place to ask questions.

Recently, I finally started my fish lifestyle, and started with a 30 gallon freshwater tank. I wanted a Jack Dempsey and Green Terror from the get go, and wanted to introduce them to the tank at the same time. Unfortunately, I had my JD (Colonel Kirtz) in the tank for 2 weeks before I finally found a green terror today. They are both about the same size, which is what I wanted, but I could use some information if anyone's got it. Being the only fish in the tank, I'm pretty sure the Jack Demp. was surprised to see a new fish, my Green Terror (Captain Green). Right now, my Jack Dempsey has been chasing my Green Terror for hours at a time. Luckily, the Green Terror seems to be much faster and evasive than the Dempsey, so he has no problem being a convict on the run, but I was wondering if this is anything to worry about. It's only been about 10 hours since I put the Terror in and I was somewhat expecting this.

First off, here is my tank:
    [img]http://i40.tinypic.com/23stdh5.jpg[/img]

30 Gallon Freshwater Tank

Here is Captain Green:
    [img]http://i41.tinypic.com/or2iom.jpg[/img]

Green Terror Cichlid

Here is Colonel Kirtz:
    [img]http://i41.tinypic.com/1247vk1.jpg[/img]

Jack Dempsey Cichlid

Colonel Kirtz and Captain Green getting along:
    [img]http://i39.tinypic.com/n2y0y1.jpg[/img]

And now, here is a video of Colonel Kirtz chasing Captain Green; Green is too quick.
    YouTube - My Fish

So what do you guys think? After a few days you think they'll be able to cope with the fact they have to share the same tank? Ask questions if you need to, in order to provide answers for me. What I think at this point is Colonel Kirtz will soon realize he can not catch Captain Green and inevitabley give up and share his home with the little guy, but until he does I feel bad for my Terror, throwing him into such a hectic lifestyle so quickly.

2. Click Here!

3. reefwisperer

reefwisperer Feather Duster

if you didnt know jack dempsey was a old boxer and belive me he didnt lose any fights and the fish won't eather. allthough terrors can usally hold nthere own. your fish look pretty young. so there is a good chance they learn to cohabit just keep close watch for any fin damage or gil damage. also if they stress each other out ick could start to apear. observe them close and good luck. kee us updated and if you need any thing else feel free to ask.
    bryan

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

One thing I noticed that could help is that your tank isn't set up ideally for Cichlids. In the lakes they come from in Africa, there is little vegetation, and there is a lot of rock work and caves. You can leave what's in there in there, but I would go out and buy some rock (you'll have to do some research on what kinds of rock are safe to not leach metals and copper into the tank) and build them a bunch of caves and hiding places. They will be able to hide from each other and if they have a place to call home it may calm their aggression.

5. ColonelKirtz

ColonelKirtz Plankton

Oh trust me, my tank isn't set up like I want it to be, AT ALL! My mom bought me the "decorations" for Christmas, and I couldn't turn them down xD When I get some money, I'll be buying different things that hopefully they will like better than what's in there now.

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I found cutting a piece of egg crate and using it as a seperator helps out. Most likley they will give up after a few days anyway, but that is too much stress.

Simply get a 2x4 piece of egg crate, cut to size and place in as a divider. They will get used to each other and finally get along.

Cheers

7. ColonelKirtz

ColonelKirtz Plankton

Where would I go about getting an egg crate ?

8. Click Here!

9. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  10. ColonelKirtz

ColonelKirtz Plankton

Thanks! I'll watch them for another day or so, and if I have to, I'll go out and get one of these two things.

11. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

They work well. My Firemouth was the meanie in my tank. After 1 week isolation, he straightened right out. My Dempsey and Green Terror were actually calm.

Good luck

12. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.