I've got a splasher!!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Todd_Sails, Mar 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My Royal Blue It seems he gets bored or something daily and 'splashes' the top and inside ot the canopy by flipping his tail and splashing water out of the top.
    He usually does the smae area.
    If he wanted to jump out, he would have done it a long time ago.

He also 'bites' the air on the top at times, daily.

There is no problem with the 02 in my water, and all the fish, etc. are doing great.

I just thought I would share to see if others splash out alot of water with their tail, or it's only my guy?

If you want a pic, he's in the DT vid in my sig.

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

does he look like he is struggling or aspirating..or is he just wanting to be a clown.. no pun intended. : ) video looks great, btw : )

4. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Becareful with those words. Murphy has a mini dive tank & lives in the live rock.

Swisswiss and CBSurfrider like this.
  5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

No, my RBT is as healthy as can be. I've yet to see another one look as good his size.

but a few times a day, he sort of lets me know he's in the DT. LOL

So, no one else has a RBT (Royal Blue Tang- often called a hippo tang) that sometimes splashes water?

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

No one has a 'splasher'? I"m the only one with a RBT that splashes water?

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

lol, to funny. Looks like you are. I was just reading a thread last night of someones fish spitting water out of the tank though.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

how did i miss this old thread!? I have a splasher, mine swims backwards to the corner of my tank raises his butt till his tail is just outside the water and...SPLASH! saltwater allover the floor and plants. then he joyfully swims away and emits a deep "pruut" sound like he is very satisfied with himself....

my reaction.....

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/9e/9eb8ddded3d61113ec34e49f9855d35590326d78b96641a916e602efd1c50b07.jpg

I was worried and frankly still am a little about this behaviour, but from what iv read its not uncommon and it does not seem to be related to any symptoms of stress or malcontent.

edit: I have also seen him pick up empty clam shells, swim around with them then "spit" them out, re pick them up and repeat the process. would it be absurd to think he is playing?

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Good to see you swiss, how have you been? I honestly think the fish is playing, mine will do the same thing with shells. Now my sohal tang will splash just to be a butt head on purpose.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  11. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

My LFS has a show sized Dussu tang that does this, especially when it's feeding time.

12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Iv been good thank you, sorry I abruptly dropped off the radar for a while like this folks....