IVE GOT A LEAK!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by JOER0178, Feb 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

Well Over the past couple of weeks From Time to time Ive noticed every once and a while that there was a salt deposit at the spot where the black frame meets the glass on the bottom of the tank.  I just figured that to came from water dripping down the glass while I was working in the tank.  But yesterday night I noticed that there was some sand deposited there.  I cleaned it away and went to bed (never going in the tank for anything) and when I woke up this morning there was another sand deposit.  My question is can this be fixed w/o draining the tank.  I assume that they will have to move the sand and seal the area connecting the bottom and front piece of glass.  Also should this be a free service from the LFS where I bought the tank, or will I have to return the tank to Oceanic.  

2. Click Here!

3. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

The only way I know is to drain the tank and reseal it. You can get new sealant at your LFS, but you have to remove all of the old stuff first. Your LFS may or may not do it, but they will charge you for it.

4. JOER0178

Also, could I seal the space between the tank and the black frame to stop the leak

5. JOER0178

The'll charge me even if I just bought the tank from them a month ago

6. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

If it is that new they shouldn't, call them and ask what the warranty is on the tank. If it is that new I would ask for a new tank.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Boy oh boy, this sound way too familiar.
    It doesn't sound like its a big leak so this is what I would do.
    Talk to your LFS and force them and Oceanic to replace the tank. At Oceanics expense. I would replace it with a AGA personally. Then when the new tank arrives transfer your sand, LR and water into the new tank.

Sorry to hear about your leak. Keep an eye on it. My tank leaked so bad sand was flying out of the split seam.

Jason

8. Click Here!

9. JOER0178

Thanks im going to call them now ill keep you posted

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

My 72 bow leaked and this is what I had to do.
    First Oceanic will only replace it if you have the aquarium on a Oceanic stand.
    Call LFS and they will call the Oceanic people for another tank.
    I know of a recent tread that documented with pictures on how to change out the corals and fish when you start the change out of the aquarium.

Good Luck

11. JOER0178

luckily I have an oceanic stand and the only thing that is in the tank is the sand and the rock. This sucks I just finished this weekend setting up he rock exaclty how I wanted it.

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Really you are lucky to have found it early like this. It is a BIG pain if it were full of corals and fish.
    What did the LFS say?
    Are you sure it is leaking and not a spill down onto the corner?
    I thought mine was leaking once and it was from my water changes.