I've got a big cyano outbreak and I don't know why. Help?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Claic Yuzolt, Dec 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

So I went away for a few days from my tank and came home to my skimmer not working at all, due to it being stopped up by chaeto, and a tiny little bit of red cyano appearing in the middle of my DT. I also noticed my Koralia 1 was fluttering a bit due to snails getting in it and popping free the propeller. I have fixed both these problems yet the cyano continues to grow.

Well I tried vacuuming it all out but that didn't go all too well and now it looks like this!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put it a new filter sock stuffed with Phosguard from Seachem and some new carbon as well.

Nothing else has changed with the tank and this is my first run in with this algae and I've had the tank for over a year now. I run a 15 gallon display fuge, which I just set up, and I also have an Aqua C Remora Skimmer that is running very well now.

I feed every other day and every so often I'll put in some cyclopeeze or coral frenzy. Didn't have this problem before with this exact feeding.

I tried to do as must research as possible and fix the problem myself but it just seems to be getting worse so now I need some help!

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

cyano can hit fast - even in a healthy system.

Just a day or two with lower flow and no skimmer can cause that outbreak.

How robust of a CUC do you have? We had a cyano problem in our 120 DT and it was quickly diminished if not eliminated all together by a small army (about 5-6/ gallon) of dwarf ceriths. Those little buggers did the trick!!! Along with that, I vacuum the top 1/2" or so of my sandbed. I am willing to bet your flow and skimmer has been keeping these bacterial colonies in check and they got out of control when the skimmer went down along with lower flow.

You should see it start to clear up with flow/filtration/CUC.

If the outbreak travels beyond control Red Slime Remover from UltraLife is pretty effective just be sure to do two doses as one will rarely eradicate all cyano.

Good luck to you!!!!

4. Claic Yuzolt

I recently got a custom CUC from John and I'm sure it came with a bucket load of those little ceriths. They are always around it so hopefully it clears up soon.

Will the Red Slime Remover do any harm to anything in my tank?

5. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I have used it and seen it used with inverts with no adverse effect. Same goes for fish as well.

6. Claic Yuzolt

SPS corals?

7. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Honestly not sure - probably best to read manuf. instructions. I did not have any SPS when I treated . . . .

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

its not hard to get rid of... no need to jump to chemicals just yet. just skim wet for a week and if it persists then move your flow around a bit. I say chemicals only as a last resort as they dont fix the problem, only cover it up for a while.

Increased nutrient export will fix the problem :)

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No Red Slime Remover!

Curious what are your current pH and mag levels.

And I am going to say it, cyanobacteria tends to hit harder in the winter months. Especially if your tank gets any natural sunlight.

I agree with Dingo, much better interventions.

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

agreed! and you know why ;) because of a drop in pH due to more CO[SUB]2[/SUB] in the water... which ultimately leads to a lower ORP <-- and that is why you have the buildup of the cyano!

since your skimmer was off for a few days that is 100% the reason why your ORP dropped :p

12. shecter

shecter Fire Shrimp

i just cut my feeding back to every 3rd day and cut the light down to 5 hours a day and it vanished in a week